Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Reaching the Book Finish Line (Sort of)

I promised to share a few (reasonably) fun tidbits this week about Craving Perfect.  Here goes:

1) It took me six months to write the first draft.  I then rewrote it, top to bottom, three times over the next two years.

2) It was the novel that my agent Holly Root first fell in love with.  I queried her the old-fashioned way--with a query that I wrote and rewrote probably 100 times.  Craving Perfect was not my first book to sell, however.

3) I got the idea for the book while jogging on a treadmill at my local gym.  The story is in no way autobiographical, although all of the characters are based on people I observed over time at my gym.  At the time I wrote it, I had this crazy idea that I was going to run in a triathlon so I spent LOTS of time working out.  To those of you who've already read ARCs, I'm here to tell you that Carlos really does exist, as does Grace and Alexandra, although their names have been changed to protect the innocent (and not so innocent).  Yes, Virginia, there really is a girl out there who looks, breathes, and behaves like Alexandra Summers.  Be very afraid.

In less than 30 days, Craving Perfect will be released! Carina Press now has it up on their web site, along with an excerpt.  Click here if you'd like to read the excerpt and learn more.   

It's been a long time coming and I realize this is only the beginning of the race, not the end although I will take a moment on July 25 to toast a glass of champagne with my husband and family.  :-)

A couple more lovely reviews were left on Goodreads and I wanted to thank Shirley Wells and J.L. Campbell for taking the time to read my novel.  In a world where lots of books compete for our time, I am grateful.  Thank you, ladies!!

P.S. Next week, I'll share something about the model on the book cover that no one knows... ;-)

13 comments:

Karen Walker said...

I can't wait to purchase your book, Liz.
Karen

Shirley Wells said...

Thank *you* for writing such a great book. (And I so want to visit that gym and meet Carlos. Or, um, Fred or whatever his real name is... :-))

Amy Jarecki said...

Isn't it a wonder how we come up with our story ideas? Thanks for sharing - I'm excited to read it and post an interview on my blog!

Carol Kilgore said...

Looking forward to reading your book.

Deniz Bevan said...

Wait wait wait - Carlos exists?????
So... can you interview him on your blog, maybe?
:-)
6 months plus 2 years. Hmm, suddenly I don't feel so badly anymore. It's been a year for me (not counting the year I struggled writing the beginning bits before I realised the book was a romance [g])

Talli Roland said...

As you know. I absolutely loved CRAVING PERFECT. It's such a wonderful read and it's good to hear the story behind it!

Tara Tyler said...

any friend of heathers must be a great gal!
nice to meet ya!

Jennifer Hillier said...

I love reading behind the scenes stuff. Congrats congrats congrats on the book coming out! Can't wait to read it!

Trisha said...

July 25 is my birthday!! So I will have a glass of champers for you, and for me! :D

Your book really sounds great!!

Liz Fichera said...

Thank you, ladies! Really appreciate all the kind comments.

@Deniz: Yes, Carlos does exist. Trust me, it was hard to concentrate sometimes whenever he walked into the gym. ;-)

@Trisha: So happy to be able to share my book birthday with you!

Angelina Rain said...

I can't wait to read your book. Wow, it took you a long time to whip this one up. It takes me a long time to write too. I don't feel so alone anymore. Sometimes it gets frustrating when you see all these other authors whip out a book per month, and they all get contracted and get 5 star reviews. I wish I could borrow their superspeed.

I can't wait to learn more about the cover model. She looks like an actress in a chick flick I've once seen but I can't remember the title.

Julie said...

I'm looking forward to reading your book, congratulations!!

Liz Fichera said...

Angelina and Julie, thank you so much!

@Angelina: the cover model tidbit is kinda interesting. Looking forward to sharing. :-)