Monday, June 27, 2011

Is Tumblr the New Facebook?

Last week, Blogger pal Roni Loren wrote a great post about a social media site that is growing in popularity.  It's called Tumblr.  Have you heard of it?  Until her post, I had been cautiously dipping my toe in the Tumblr dark waters because, seriously, I need to spend more time on the Internet like I need a hole in the head. 

But I'm fairly computer geeky and was intrigued.  Tumblr is like blogging and Facebook on steroids.  When you view people's pages, it's short snippets of a lot of stuff all at once.  It's the virtual visual equivalent of Vegas. 

Not sure how I feel about Tumblr at the moment.  If I had to give it a temperature, I'd say I'm lukewarm.  I kind of like Blogger for more in-depth posts and Facebook for (sometimes) more detailed conversations with friends and family.  Twitter, of course, is fun for quick bites of mostly nothingness.  Can Tumblr be all three?  Not sure yet.

I do think Roni is absolutely right though that Tumblr is good for people who want to blog but who don't want to spend a lot of time blogging because it's not really blogging.  It's more like tweeting but with visuals.

Naturally, I started a Tumblr page.  Click here  if you'd like to see my page.  I haven't figured out yet how to allow comments (or if I want them), additional pages, and other bloggy-type stuff.  A work in progress.  For now, Tumblr is a new playground for me and time will tell if I grow tired of the new shiny.  And, if I spend more than an hour a week on Tumblr please, somebody, take away my computer privileges and lock me in a room because I've got one book to finish and another to write before the end of next year.

In other news this weekend, Talli Roland, Gabriella Hewitt, and Tara Chevrestt left lovely reviews of Craving Perfect on Goodreads.  Thank you, wonderful ladies!

So, with that, do you Tumblr yet?

18 comments:

mooderino said...

I'm on tumblr . I'd say there are a lot more famous quotes and photos as posts. The average age is young, but like regular blogging very female (why is that?).

mood
Moody Writing
@mooderino
Follow!

Sarah said...

I really don't understand tumblr, and I'm sure it will take me a while to explore it. Thanks for explaining it. I'm a pretty late adopter of this stuff, and relatively easily overwhelmed. I don't do Facebook, and am quite happy with Twitter and blogging. But ... I keep hearing about it, so maybe at some point I'll check it out.

Talei said...

Ooh, yes. I'm on tumblr. I also need to set time limits, its extremely addictive right now. For me, a release of sorts. Somewhere to play really. I see it as an add on to my blogging, if anyone wants my 'in-depth' writing - then my blog is the place to find me.

My tumblr:
My tumblr Fabulous Frippery

See you in the playground! And don't worry, the Muse will keep an eye on the clock! ;-)

Good luck with your writing deadlines - you are a busy lady!!

Roni Loren said...

Thanks for linking to my post! :) Tumblr is still pretty new to me, but I've enjoyed it so far and it hasn't been a time suck (yet, lol.) Hope you like it!

Oh and to put comments,only some templates have a spot to put in your Disqus ID. Those are the ones that allow comments. ANd you'd have to sign up with Disqus in order to use them. (That's free.)

Karen Walker said...

No, I am not on Tumbir and won't be tumbiring anytime soon. I have enough trouble keeping up with my blog, other blogs and a little bit of Facebook.
Karen

Danette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danette said...

(Yikes! Bad grammar! Redo)
I have a tumblr page which I use for advertising. People can comment but it goes directly to my page which is great for reviews not great for questions. But I can choose whether to post them so that works well for me. I love my tumblr page! Yours is also great! You can do kinds of fun stuff with it! I've had my page for a LONG time. (I was ahead of the curve on this one -as I was with twitter...) :)

Nicki Elson said...

Ah, so it's like pretty twitter. Well, let me know if it seems to take off. Like you, I cannot carve out anymore internet time. I do hope something comes along to knock out Facebook though---that thing is so glitchy, non-user-friendly (every time I figure something out, they change it), and ugly. Take that, Facebook! ;P

CarolOates said...

No, I refuse to start tumblr. I get little enough done as it is. lol.

Talli Roland said...

I HEART tumblr so much! Good to see you on there -- and my pleasure for the review. It was a wonderful read.

-E- said...

i hope it replaces the evil facebook juggernaut.

Cold As Heaven said...

I'm tired of the shit-chat on Facebook, hardly bother to log in any more. Maybe I should check out Tumblr >:)

Michael Di Gesu said...

Thanks for the heads up on Tumbir..... If I ever have a free second I will check it out...


Good news.... I finally finished my editing and I can start reading your book tonight...YAY! I can't wait!

Jennifer Lane said...

I've barely heard of Tumblr and now they're saying it's the next Facebook? That makes me feel old and grumpy 'cause I don't want to learn a new system! What's that quote? "Change is good for us all. You first." Anyway, thanks for the tumblr education!

J. Gunnar Grey said...

Oh, sheeze. Can tell just from glancing at your Tumblr page, I am in such trouble.
Gunnar Grey

J.L. Campbell said...

I haven't tried Tumblr yet and don't want to take on another network activity.

Lynda R Young said...

Obviously I'm behind on the times. This is the first I've heard of Tumblr. Oops

Glynis said...

Oh dear, I will never get anything written. I am going to have to have a look now. ;0