Friday, June 10, 2011

ET, Phone Home

By far the coolest story this week was from an armchair astronaut who accidentally stumbled upon a cylinder structure on Mars using Google Mars.  How cool is that--if it's not a hoax, of course.  David Martines calls his intriguing find Bio Station Alpha.  Click here for the video.  It looks like a big garage.  (Roughly 700' x 150').  And it's on Mars.  Seriously.

Ah, the stories that begin to spin in a writer's head...

So, a few of us had fun on Twitter yesterday.  I'm calling it the first Bed and Breakfast on Mars.  I'm hopeful the Martian proprietors make great raspberry scones and don't eat the humans a la that classic Twilight Zone episode that I've seen a gazillion times, To Serve Man.

What do you hope the structure is?

11 comments:

Pauline Barclay said...

My my, my imagination is running wild on this....! A tad nearer to home than Mars, there is something for you on my Blog, please swing by and collect it. I think it will make you smile! :-)

Talli Roland said...

Er, er... something that resembles a Red Twizzler molecule.

Talli Roland said...

Or, sorry! I thought the scientist had somehow found out something to do with the chemical make-up of Mars. Okay, then... I hope the structure is something made out of Red Twizzlers.

What can I say. It's Friday.

-E- said...

time capsule from the ancient martian civilization?

Angelina Rain said...

That is so cool. Thanks for sharing, Liz.

Michael Di Gesu said...

What the ...

This is the first I've heard of this... Could this really be true?

It's an interesting notion for sure.

Thanks for the insight Liz.

Cold As Heaven said...

A cylinder structure on Mars indicates there is a theater group up there trying to perform a play by Samuel Beckett >:)

Cold As Heaven

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If Talli said Twizzlers, I'm going with a structure made of Hot Tamales!

Deniz Bevan said...

The restaurant at the end of the universe!
By the way, I'm in the middle of Craving Perfect - can't put it down!

Liz Fichera said...

Great ideas! No doubt this discovery will spur lots of people onto book and movie ideas. Too bad that satellite can't see what's inside. I gotta think that NASA (or someone) is already exploring the technology that could let us see inside, don't you?

Time capsule, Red Twizzler, Hot Tamales, Theatre Groups, restaurants...I'm going to add Martian Wine Bar to the list of options. ;-)

@Deniz: So glad you're enjoying!

Nas Dean said...

Hi Liz,

Thanks for sharing an interesting insight.

I'm enjoying all the discussion as well!