Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Books As Friends

I'd like to welcome Carina Press author JB Lynn to the blog today.  JB is one of the reasons why I've loved publishing with Carina Press.  It's given me a chance to meet so many wonderfully talented and fun authors and JB is certainly one of them. 

Today she's going to tell us a little bit about her fave books.  I've always believed that you can learn a lot about a person by the books they love.  And JB had me at Nancy Drew. ;-) 
Below, come meet JB and her new release, The First Victim

*******

Before I graduated from sixth grade, my family had lived in six towns. This meant I was always the "new" kid in school. I might not have always known which classroom I belonged in or who my teacher was, but I always knew where the school library was.

Trying to make new "person" friends every year was challenging, but I always knew a "book" friend was waiting in the library of whatever town I was in, so I was rarely lonely.

In first grade my best friends were Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys.

In second grade my absolute best friend was HORSE OF TWO COLORS by Glen Balch. (Which is probably why I loved Liz's CAPTIVE SPIRIT so much.)

In third grade A WRINKLE IN TIME was my constant companion.

That pattern has continued through my entire life. I'm always making "book" friends -- discovering new worlds and meeting new characters. I have old friends (I STILL read Horse of Two Colors every year, lol) forgotten friends (I recently read half of an older James Patterson novel before I realized I'd read it before) and new friends (soooo many new friends).

So tell me, who are YOUR book friends?

To learn more about JB and her books, follow her on Twitter, “like” her FaceBook page, or explore her website.


Fifteen years ago, Emily Wright barely escaped from a serial killer dubbed the Baby Doll Strangler. She wants nothing to do with the small town she grew up in, but when her father is hospitalized she reluctantly returns home to care for her teenage sister.

When a friend of her sister is killed and left in front of Emily’s house, Emily begins to relive the nightmare she endured long ago. Soon she realizes that her sister too is in danger from the killer – and the only person who can help is the man Emily left behind: Deputy Bailey O’Neil. Together, Emily and Bailey must discover the killer’s identity before he claims his next victim...

21 comments:

Talei said...

Awesome cover jacket and the blurb has me intrigued, shall definitely check it out! ;-)

Nas Dean said...

What an intriguing blurb.
I shall definitely be on a lookout for it on the Carina site.

I just sent a friend request on FB.

All the best with new release!

Pk Hrezo said...

Sounds like a great read! Congrats on your book!
And Liz, congrats on your up and coming ones as well! How exciting! Let me know if you want to do an interview to promote it. :)

Sarah said...

I love the idea of book friends. One of mine is Till We Have Faces, by CS Lewis. And--lovely cover and interesting summary! I love those suspenseful reads!

JB Lynn said...

Talei -- glad you're intrigued!

Nas -- We're friends now!

Pk -- Thanks Pk! I loved Liz's Captive Spirit so I'm looking forward to Craving Perfect!!

Sarah -- I haven't read that Lewis book, thanks for the suggestion of a new friend!

Angelina Rain said...

Great post and great blurb! I saw that book on the Carina site the other day and really wanted to buy it. As I hate shopping, I will have to wait until Liz's book comes out so I could buy all the Carina books I want to read at the same time.

Shirley Wells said...

You've reminded me that I meant to download this one yesterday. Shall go do it now.

Love the cover (not that I've seen a bad cover from Carina yet).

Good luck with the book, JB!

Karen Walker said...

Nancy Drew and Little Women when I was a child. Wishing JB good luck on her release.
Karen

Raelyn Barclay said...

Good luck with the release JB! The cover is awesome. Great blurb, if it wasn't already on my to-buy list that would have cinched it.

kathia said...

"Superfudge" was my best friend when I was a kid. And then "The Witch of Blackbord Pond" and all the Lois Duncan books (I went back and forth between wanting to be a witch when I grew up or a gypsy).

Can't wait to read FIRST VICTIM!

Joann Swanson said...

I think Kathia and I were separated at birth. Along with Superfudge and Blackbird Pond, my book friends consisted of The Boxcar Children series, a book titled Freckles that my grandma always kept on a lower shelf for me, Anne of Green Gables, Judy Blume, James and the Giant Peach, Where the Red Fern Grows - and many more. Great post, JB!

Liz Fichera said...

Joann, I'm pretty sure I checked out THE BOXCAR CHILDREN from my school's library at least a million times. Loved that series. Of course, Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys--goes without saying.

Thanks for being here today, JB! May you sell a gazillion copies of THE FIRST VICTIM! It will be on my nook toute de suite and part of my beach reading next month. :-)

Talli Roland said...

Oh the memories! I used to love Nancy Drew and A Wrinkle in Time.

Love the cover and the blurb is fantastic!

Shari said...

So many new wonderful books to check out! Thanks.

JB Lynn said...

Angelina - sounds like you're a binge book buyer :-)

Shirley - Thank you! I hope you enjoy it!

Karen - I loved Little Women. I always identified with Jo. Who was your fave?

JB Lynn said...

Raelyn - I love the cover too!

Kathia - I haven't heard SuperFudge in a long time

Joann -- I LOVED Where The Red Fern Grows!

JB Lynn said...

Liz -- Thanks so much for having me!

Talli -- My copy of A Wrinkle in Time was sooooo dog-eared.

Shari -- If you haven't read Liz's Captive Spirit, I recommend it!!!

PeaceLoveandSharpies said...

Ooooh that looks interesting.

And when it comes to book friends, I like any books that when I read I feel like I'm not alone...that I'm not the only one going through what I'm going through...

TC said...

I read a couple of Nancy Drew books but I really grew up with Enid Blyton - Famous Five, Mallory Towers, loved them, I was always called the bookworm as a kid.

Jennifer Hillier said...

Awesome post! My constant companions were the Narnia Chronicles, Nancy Drew, Judy Blume, and Beverly Cleary.

Creepy Query Girl said...

SOunds like an awesome read! Thanks so much for sharing with us. My book friends were the RL Stine series; Babysitters Club; sweet valley high; christopher pike books; and LJ smith.