Friday, May 6, 2011

Native American Lit

It's good to be on the right side of a (possible) trend, for a change.  If a trend was the North Pole, I'm usually the South Pole.  Always on the outside, looking in.

I don't write vampires, werewolves, fairies, or witches, although I love reading the stories from authors who do.  But finally something that I love to write about--Native American characters and their stories--is beginning to rear its impatient head.  Too soon to call it an official, full-blown trend but I am hopeful. 

Why there aren't lots more mainstream stories with Native American characters remains a mystery to me, especially since the cultures are so rich, colorful and varied.  Ditto for stories written in the American Southwest.  Yeah, I'm a desert girl too.

Anyway, a girl can dream. (And I do.)

Have a fab weekend! It should be a busy one here at the O.K. Corral.  Craig and I have two parties (the same day), a house project, and a trip to Old Town Scottsdale planned.  I was hoping to squeeze in a book and a movie somewhere in all that, but we'll see.  Are you doing anything fun??

10 comments:

Karen Walker said...

Oh, Liz, I hope you're right about this trend. I live in the American Southwest and the culture is so rich. I have a singing gig today, which I always enjoy. The rest of the weekend is open. I'm hoping for a few movies in there as well.
karen

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We don't see too many books about Native Americans - start a trend!

Angela Felsted said...

My goodness. You do sound busy. My cousin wrote a novel that's coming out later this year which has to do with native american legend. It think it's called Shifting. I'm so excited to read it.

Raelyn Barclay said...

I hope you're right, too. I love reading stories centered around the Native American culture. Recently read a short story by Krista D. Ball that featured Canadian First Nation culture, hope to see more in that arena as well.

Have a great weekend!

Nicki Elson said...

You're absolutely right that Native American history is fascinating to read about...so that is odd it hasn't caught on big by now. Perhaps the market was just waiting for you! Let's stick a stake in those vampires once and for all.

Have a wonderful weekend! At least its all packed w/ fun stuff (assuming you like house projects, that is)

Oh! And I just saw your new book cover on the side---looks fun!

Angelina Rain said...

I love stories with Native American characters. I say bring on the trend!

Liz Fichera said...

I heart you guys!

Colette said...

I DO think stories (real stories, not cowboy and indian stories) are becoming more trendy. You're of the front end of the curve!

Rachael Harrie said...

Ooh, that sounds like an intriguing trend - and how cool you're there writing it! Can't wait to see how it pans out for you :)

Hugs,

Rach

Nas Dean said...

Hi Liz,

I love reading stories centered around the Native American culture.

And you would be the trend setter with native real stories. It would be interesting reading and collecting these stories.