Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Movie and Book Round-up

Over the long Memorial Day weekend, I had a chance to make a huge dent in my books and movie stacks.  Here's what I read, watched and enjoyed:

Alice I Have Been by Melanie Benjamin - an interesting blend of fact and fiction behind author Lewis Carroll and his muse, Alice. 

Like Mandarin by Kirsten Hubbard - a contemporary YA involving two unlikely best friends set in a small town called Washokey, Wyoming.  I heart stories set in the West!

Taken for Pleasure by Angelina Rain - a hawt novella from my writer friend, Angelina.  Loved the sweet ending too. 

On the movie front, we rented:

I Am Number Four - the reviews on this were mixed but I really don't pay too much attention to reviews.  Despite a few plot holes, I enjoyed this movie and all of its good versus evil with a side of aliens from outer space.  Craig and I were in the mood for a big story with lots of action and this one delivered.

Legion - this too was filled with lots of action (and gore).  It's the story of an out-of-the-way diner somewhere in the Mohave Desert that becomes ground zero for the human race.  I covered my eyes through most of it but my husband tells me it was quite intriguing.

How about you? Have you read or watched anything lately that you'd recommend?

P.S. I may have some super-cool news to share with you this week!!!! Stay tuned because I can barely contain myself at this point. I'm busting.  Truly. :-)

17 comments:

Creepy Query Girl said...

Hubby still hasn't convinced me to watch 'Legion'- too much gore for my taste. I tend to cover my ears instead of my eyes during a scary movie- I know it defies reason. lol.

Colette said...

We went to see Bridesmaids. Definitely worth seeing.

Can't wait to hear your news!

cherie said...

I went to see Kung Fu Panda 2 with the kids--it was fun! These days, I'm limited to G and PG movies, unless if hubby takes me out to see one that doesn't have cartoon characters in it. ;)

As for books--gah! I'm so behind. Still plowing through my TBR list.

Lisa said...

Hey! I watched I Am Number Four as well! I also read Eat Prey Love and Vampire Mine by Kerrelyn Sparks :)

Ann Best said...

What you read and watched sounds so interesting I'm writing them down for future reference. Glad you enjoyed your long weekend.
Ann Best, Memoir Author

Michael Di Gesu said...

Alice I Have Been sounds like a very interesting read....

I played all day yesterday. Lots of sun and blue sky.

During the rain and thunderstorms on Saturday and Sunday and stay in and had an HP weekend all seven films.... Can't wait for the final segment!

I'm glad you had a great weekend.

I know you are bursting.... We WANT TO KNOW!!!!! IT sounds like a contract!

Heather M. Gardner said...

I'm behind on reading. I'm behind on movies too. Husband said he wanted to see I am Number Four when he saw the commercial with the hot chicks. I said that's okay, there is also a hot guy. I think I'll grab it this week!

Talli Roland said...

SUPER COOL NEWS! SUPER COOL NEWS! You can't leave us hanging like that!

I can't wait to hear it!

Karen Walker said...

Ooh, you're such a tease. I'm reading Sara Gruen's latest book, "Ape House." She's a good writer, but the material is hard to handle. I can't stand it if animals are mis-treated.
Karen

Kittie Howard said...

We've had power outages so have been winging it. Hub would love Legion, don't know about me, the fraidy cat.

Carol Riggs said...

Oooo! I want to know what your news is!! :)

Yeah, not into gore. I've heard LIKE MANDARIN is good--it's on my TBR list. Too busy revising for my lovely agent these days to read anything. Someday...

Happy June 1st!

Angela Felsted said...

I really liked number four and have yet to read Like Mandarin. But from I'll heard about it I really should.

The Tame Lion said...

Can't wait to hear your news!

Liz Fichera said...

Oh, lots of good movie and book ideas here - thank you! Bridesmaids, for one, is definitely on the list. I think that lead actress is hilarious.

Nas Dean said...

Hi Liz,

What is your news? Please don't leave us hanging!

Twimom227 said...

I NEVER watch movies anymore unless it's with the kiddos, but I have to say that I AM FOUR looked interesting to me. Oh well... we'll be seeing Kung Fu Panda 2 this weekend!

Pk Hrezo said...

Hey, Liz! Haven't read or seen any of those yet. Just watched King's Speech which was great. And Inglourious Basterds which was also really really great.
My TBR list is so long right now I don't know if I'll ever finish. I only watch movies when I'm on the treadmill .... so it's incentive to work out. :)