Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Kid Lit

Full disclosure.  Coming up with a "K" post for the A-Z April Blogfest wasn't easy.  But then it hit me: Kid Lit.

Kid Lit is near and dear to my heart because in addition to women's fiction I do love writing young adult fiction, although Kid Lit has also been used to describe middle-grade fiction and children's picture books.

I love the angsty voices in young adult fiction.  Teenagers experience the same emotions as everybody else except magnified by a factor of 1000 compared to the rest of the population.  Everything is tragic.  Life or death.  Do or die.   That's what makes their stories (and writing their stories) so much fun because teenagers get to live life in the extremes.  To date, I've written three young adult novels, one of which is currently on submission.  (And, Universe:  If you can hear me?  Please send me an editor who will fall madly in love with my Native American girl golfer story before I turn the ripe old age of 105.  Pretty, please?  Thanks.) 

I have written a middle-grade novel, although that's still a work-in-progress and requires a lot more tinkering.  It's about a Native American boy who dreams about being an astronaut and kinda runs away from home.  By accident.  The middle-grade voice is different in some ways from young adult fiction and I haven't totally cracked the code yet on the middle-grade voice.  I wrote it as an experiment to see if I could write a male voice and just because I wanted to.  The story needs a lot more work and it's currently hiding inside my laptop, waiting for me to shine a light on it and feed it chocolate. 

Regarding children's picture books, that's just not my thing, although wouldn't it be cool to be a killer illustrator?! I'm always in awe of authors who write and illustrate quality picture books.  Maybe in my next life.

What about you? Do you experiment with reading and/or writing in other genres?

15 comments:

Áine Tierney said...

Wow, it's great that you experiment so much and try so many different things. I have dabbled with bits here and there for teens and kids. I found it fun, and might go back to it sometime in the future.

Angelina Rain said...

I always experiment with genres. As a reader, if I read too many books of the same genre, back to back, I get sick of it for a while and have to pick up a different genre to read. I work the same way as a writer. At this moment, I’m writing two books and both are in genres that are new to me as a writer. One is a thriller, and when I was a kid I used to write romantic horror stories for my friends to read, so I guess there’s similar elements between writing horror and writing a thriller. Still, writing it is a lot of fun. The other story I’m writing is a comical erotic romance. The erotic part I’m used to. I used to write sex scenes even before I lost my virginity, so that’s a genre I’m somewhat comfortable with. However, the comedy is totally new to me. I’m told that I have a great sense of humor, but expressing it on paper is a challenge. However, I love a good challenge!

I’ve never attempted to write young adult, at least not as an adult. I did write a few YA short stories when I was in high school and my friends loved them. Maybe someday I’ll resurrect those stories and rewrite them and publish them under a different pen name.


I can’t wait to see your genre experiments published. I really enjoyed Captive Spirit and the way you wrote it so I’m sure I’ll enjoy everything else too.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Yes, I do.

My first novel, a m/g realistic fantasy is the first in a series.

After completing and editing it for two years, I needed a break. So after this odd dream I had, I wrote an edgy y/a contemporary. SO different in voice and story.

I also illustrated my first novel. So Liz, the next time you drop by my blog check out my link My Illustrations. The cover and inside illustrations are featured.

Francine Howarth said...

Hi,

I admire those who put their writer brain inside a teenager and write a whole teen-lit novel.

I've only ever stretched myself in writing a shorty teen story for a blogfest, and I stepped inside an angsty teenage boy for that one. It's actually on my romance blog: http://francinehowarth.blogspot.com

I'll stick with romance for adults! ;)

best
F

Carol Riggs said...

I've only written one MG in my stash of 14-15 novels; the rest are YA. Like you, I love the voice and thrill and emotions of YA! So fun. Best wishes to you for an editor for your Native American golfer girl novel!!!

Linda Leszczuk said...

We need more m/g. I go looking for books for my 12 year old grandson and everything is either too juvenile for him or it's YA fantasy.

Nas Dean said...

It's great that you do different genres. I, personally love to read all genres, but haven't attempted to write all so far.

Nas Dean said...

I've a three year old GD so I read to her all the time, that's what I meant when I said I read all!

Donna Cummings said...

Fingers crossed for your YA on submission. I hope we're partying, and writing our memoirs, at the ripe old age of 105. :)

Talei said...

Oh yes! I love the do or die of YA. I am keen to try my hand at Paranormal YA. That's definitely on the cards.

M Pax said...

Not so far. I should. I write in other subgenres of my genre. Evenutally, I'll break out.

I had the most trouble with Z and I have yet to upload W.

nutschell said...

great post. I should really try branching out and trying other genres. When i was younger i dabbled in poetry and short stories. Now i find myself simply stuck on novels. great meeting you through the a-z!
nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Deniz Bevan said...

I'm with you on adoring KidLit. And my MG male character is pining away, waiting for me to return to querying his story. A boy who travels back in time to the Roman world with the aid of a talking cat... I can't wait for others to read his story!

Trisha said...

I wrote an MG novel without really intending to. It's got series potential. Ha. But yeah, as for YA, honestly I haven't really written much of it, except short stories. It may be on the menu for this year's NaNo though! I'm excited!

Shannon Lawrence said...

I've dabbled with children's picture books and I write grown up books, but right now I'm all about those angsty YA's! I've never tried MG and I imagine it would be a reach, but might be fun to try some day. I read books in every group, and am about to move on to the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books with my son, so we'll see how those go. The movies are fun.

Good luck with the rest of the A to Z Challenge and finding your publisher!