Monday, April 18, 2011

History Geek Shout Out to All Librarians and Teachers

Calling all librarians and teachers!  This summer, I would be honored to Skype with the students and readers at your libraries and schools about the Hohokam Indians, the people who are the focus of my latest release CAPTIVE SPIRIT

The Hohokam were a fascinating people who arrived in the American Southwest around 300 BC from the ancient Mayan and Aztec cultures and vanished rather mysteriously around the sixteenth century.  A great deal of research went into my book and I'd love to share some of that research with you.  I think the Hohokam Indians are rather cool and hope you do too.

If you are interested, please contact me through my web site or leave a comment with your email address.  There is no cost, just a willingness to learn about a rather fascinating and little-known Native American tribe.  I'm willing to speak with any group that has the ability to Skype.  International libraries and classrooms welcome too!

Look forward to hearing from you.

15 comments:

Raelyn Barclay said...

The wee beasties are on spring break but I'll check with the schools next week. You're awesome to offer this.

Karen Walker said...

I am enamored with Native American culture. I live in the Southwest, in Albuquerque, but never heard of this tribe. Look forward to learning more. thanks for the comment and visit to my blog.
Karen

Lydia K said...

It's so cool that you are doing this. What a great opportunity for readers!

Danette said...

Funny how you don't really remember the old things when you bring in new- but I like the look. It definitely has a cleanness to it!

This would be a great opportunity. I'll check with our LPA and see if she's interested in getting this set up.

Angelina Rain said...

Ooh, you changed your blog around. I like it. I should do that too as I’m noticing everyone else’s blogs changes.

I think it’s really nice that you’re educating people about this Native American heritage. I personally love learning more. Now when you say they disappeared, have you tried to find out where they relocated to? I’ve always wondered about that after I finished reading Captive Spirit.

Liz Fichera said...

Angelina, That's part of the mystery. There are lots of theoriees why the Hohokam suddenly vanished--famine, war, migration, fire, drought. But no one knows for sure. The only thing that is certain is that they up and vanished, leaving their once-thriving community.

So glad to see there's interest. I've gotten several emails already. Cool!

Francine Howarth said...

Hi,

Good for you! Why waste all that you gleaned from research, and what better way of marketing your book and the tribes' plight. Good luck with this project. ;)

best
F

Ju Dimello said...

Hi Liz,

It's great to see an author sharing their research behind the story! Makes me curious about Captive Spirit :) I loved the cover..well, I love most of the ones from CP.

I've lurked around CP blog earlier, kind of shy to come out :), but it is nice to meet you through A-Z challenge ...!

Nas Dean said...

Hi Liz,

I like the nice look around here.

And you're so awesome for offering to share your research around.

All the best!

L'Aussie said...

Hi Liz. What a wonderful way to publicise your work and to share the knowledge you have gleaned through research.

Denise<3

Trisha said...

Heh, I work in a university library and we don't even have live reference services yet ;)

Trisha said...

Err, by that I meant live online :P We do have in-person reference. hehe

Liz Fichera said...

Thanks, all! I'm blown away by the nice emails I've received this week. Glad to see that there's interest.

Nicki Elson said...

This is such a great idea! I just tweeted and will be sure to mention it and pass it along to teacher friends.

Liz Fichera said...

You totally rock, Nicki! Thank you!!