Monday, February 21, 2011

Live from Phoenix

When I'm not plotting alternate realities or creating chaos with characters, I love to watch live theater.  Not because I've ever been bitten by the acting bug (remind me to tell you sometime about my disastrous performance in a Halloween play during the second-grade), but because I love to see stories come to life on the stage.  And Phoenix has some amazing live theater.

I write theater reviews for the Arizona Theatre Company and I'm lucky enough to be invited back to watch Opening Night performances at the Herberger Theatre.  Saturday night, Craig and I watched the opening night lavish production of Ten Chimneys, directed by David Ira Goldstein and written by playwright, Jeffrey Hatcher.  Two words:  Awe. Some!  It had romance, comedy, and drama--all things that I adore.  Throw in period costumes, a rotating stage, and believable, snappy dialogue, and it's like a little bit of heaven on earth.

I'm always in awe of people who put themselves out there on stage and can do it so well, night after night.  What talent!  By the way, if Ten Chimneys comes to a local theater near you, check it out.  Definitely.

My full review of the play will post sometime this week in Downtown Phoenix.

8 comments:

James Garcia Jr said...

Hi, Liz. Very cool! I've seen a few plays, but recently my high school Junior has become interested in performing on stage. He had a part in "Little Women", another in "Guys & Dolls" and will be the Scarecrow this spring in "The Wizard of Oz". Because of him, we're getting a lot of theater now!!
I also love it that you write reviews. I will have to check those out. I was asked last year to write for a local on-line magazine in my area, so I'll be looking to see how I might improve with regard to that gig.
Take care,

-James

Angelina Rain said...

I enjoy live theater too, although it’s so expensive here. The last time I saw it, it was Sweeney Todd. It was a very good show and I loved it that the whole cast played instruments while they were acting and singing. I think theater actors are just so talented.

Bobbye Terry said...

Wow, a theatre critic. Awesome! I wish we had more near me.

Linda Leszczuk said...

I'm a big theater buff, too. Have season tickets to a couple professional series and catch a lot of community theater as well. I don't care how cool the special effects are in the movies, there's nothing like watching a live performance.

Doing reviews must be a trip.

Nas Dean said...

Alas, we don't have live theatre in our country.

Enjoy!

Danette said...

Two words, eh? lol. I love live theater, although I love being IN live theater more than I love watching live theater! It would be fun to write reviews although I might be a tad harsh as a former stage performer...

Kari Marie said...

Live theater is great. I also had thespian dreams dashed by a disastrous performance as the lead in the school play.

Jen Daiker said...

What a cool thing to get to do!! I love going to see plays, though I haven't seen many! You actually have inspired me to look up a play in my area so I can remember what fun it was!