Monday, February 28, 2011

It's Alive!

Good news: On Sunday, I finished my line edits for my contemporary romance that's releasing this summer.  Bad news: About two hours later, my computer crashed.  Total meltdown.  I suppose it could have been worse. I could have had the total computer meltdown right in the middle of my edits.  Still, I felt like the poor woman in this photo for most of Sunday.  (Golf claps if you can name the cult horror film in this photo.) 

It's times like these when I'm very grateful that I'm married to a computer (and adorable, I might add) computer geek.  Being the great guy that he is, he cancelled his Sunday afternoon golf plans, raced out and bought me another hard drive thingy, and within hours I was up and running again.  Don't ask me to describe all of the technical details; my eyes would just glaze over.  But know this:  Eat your heart out, Kate!  I married a real prince.

Morale of the story: Make sure you back-up your hard drive! Yes, I did. Fortunately.  But can you imagine not having backed up manuscripts you've been working on for the last year?  The last couple of years?! That would be the true nightmare.

16 comments:

Donna Cummings said...

Wow, Liz, that was excellent timing! Congrats for finishing your line edits.

I have had to replace my hard drive, and then my entire computer, this past year, so I sympathize. I've been fortunate that I didn't lose any data, but it gives me shivers to think about it. I'm gonna go backup everything again!

Elena Solodow said...

I don't know the movie reference - but it looks quite interesting! I cannot imagine what it would feel like to lose EVERYTHING. Glad to hear that you didn't.

Back up, back up, back up.

Ellie said...

Congratulations on finishing your line edits.

I've always been OCD about backing up my writing and hard drive! I'm not married to a computer geek but my step-son is pretty good at sorting problems when they arise.

Ellie Garratt

Angelina Rain said...

Oh no! I’m glad it all worked out though. I remember when that happened to me, only my book completely disappeared and couldn’t be opened. I had to take my computer to a professional to pull out my book and put it on a disk. Now, I keep my story on the computer and I have a copy of it on this small thumb size thingy that stores data and stuff.

Nicki Elson said...

Back up, back up, back up...so easy to say, so difficult to remember to do...

Congratulations---on finishing the edits AND on snagging yourself a prince of a geek. ;)

Joann Swanson said...

Glad it all worked out and congrats on finishing! I email myself everything to do with the manuscript I'm working on daily, with the date in the file name. This alone has saved me so much heartache.

Sherri said...

Ouch...

Congrats on finishing the edits.

I email myself once a week but yeah a complete backup would be good too.

Talli Roland said...

You're the second person I've talked to whose computer packed it in this weekend! Yikes! Guess I really should back up my work more often.

Maria Zannini said...

Major bummer! My biggest fear is when the hard drive in my head is going to crash. I don't think I can back that. ;-)

Diana said...

I email my manuscripts to myself every so often and put it on a dipstick doohickey thingamagigy.

Glad you backed your stuff up.

Nas Dean said...

GO LIz, fr outsmarting Kate! And getting the real life Prince!

Kari Marie said...

Congratulations on finishing your line edits! I recently invested in one of those online backups. Best decision ever.

Trisha said...

The mere thought of losing that much of my work makes me almost tear up!

I do indeed back up my hard drive, though not as often as I should.

I'm going to do it right now, actually. :P

Danette said...

Lucky girl! I had have that happen to me once- and I lost hours and hours of work which then taught me a valuable lesson.

Glad you had a productive weekend and congratulations on finishing your edits!

Liz Fichera said...

If this post served as a back-up reminder, then I am glad! Would hate to see all those great stories lost!!

Deniz Bevan said...

Congratulations on finishing your line edits - and whew, for getting everything saved.
Passed you an award, fellow crusader! http://thegirdleofmelian.blogspot.com/2011/02/passing-on-awards-and-passing-on.html