Friday, February 18, 2011

First Crusader Challenge

Here's my entry for the First Crusader Challenge hosted by the lovely Rachael Harrie. And, jeez, it wasn't exactly an easy first challenge (thanks, Rach!). And, I mean, fuliguline?! Seriously?  As part of this writing challenge, we are somehow supposed to work these words into our entries: fuliguline, bloviate, rabbit, and blade.

Anyway, the first challenge involves fun things like secrets, lies, quirks, and fave things in 300 words or less.  And after I wrote it, I realized that I needed some serious therapy. :-) Here goes:

**************
"Can you keep a secret?" he said.

"It depends," I said.  "Is it like little-white-lie secret or whole-world-apocalypse secret? I mean, if things get ugly I may have to tell someone. Like my hairdresser."

"Well, I apologize," he said.  "I can't be that specific."

"You apologize?" My eyes widened.  "That's not really a heart-felt apology.  I prefer when people say I'm sorry.  Now that's an apology. I don't accept I apologize."

"Quite a quirk you got there. So noted."

"Thank you," I said.  "While we're being honest, there's probably something else you should know."

"And what's that?" He leaned back in his chair.

I looked from side-to-side and then leaned forward.  "I have this annoying habit of eating way too much chocolate.  It makes me a little, you know, hyper.  And that's when I tend to bloviate."

He smiled.  "Annoying? Well, I find that a little...fuliguline."

"Huh?"

"Never mind," he said.

"My chocolate consumption is an annoying habit," I insisted.  "One of my better traits is that I'm pretty good with word puzzles. Like Scrabble.  Did you know that from blade, you could turn the letters around and get delab?"

"But that's not a word."

"Neither is fuliguline. I think.  Anyway, just seeing if you're paying attention."

His eyes rolled.

"And one of my most favorite things in the whole world is running in the desert.  You know, on account of my chocolate habit."

"Fascinating," he said as he checked his watch.

"Yeah," I said.  "It gives me a chance to see a rabbit or two and even coyotes."

"I'm not sure I believe anything you've said," he said.  "Are you being truthful?"

I paused.  "Well, mostly.  Except for one thing."

But the buzzer rang.  And the speed daters darted for the next table.

49 comments:

Lisa said...

Hahaha! What a fun idea for a post!

Danette said...

Well done! I know you love chocolate and puzzles. I would guess your lying about your quirk- it seems a little over the top and made for dramatic purposes. I'm still working on mine but need to get ready for work. Ahh!

Angelina Rain said...

Liz, you are too funny. This was such a great short little story. I really enjoyed it.

Candyland said...

LOL, I love it! You wove those words in nicely:)

Susan Fields said...

Hi fellow crusader!

Hmmm...very creative entry in the challenge! I'm going to guess that you don't like to run.

Donna Cummings said...

That was great! Loved the ending.

Summer Ross said...

Very creative! loved this fellow crusader! My guess is you don't run through the desert. LOL

Ann said...

That was great. I really enjoyed your creative take on this Challenge. I am supposing running in the desert is the little fib. Nice to meet you fellow Crusader.

gideon 86 said...

Well done, Liz....

I loved the whole speed dating concept...

I don't believe you like to run in the desert... WAY too hot... lol

A fun read.

Michael

Witless Exposition said...

Great way to tackle the challenge! I'm still mulling it over. I'm going to guess that the fib is that chocolate makes you hyper (after all, it's impossible for someone not to like chocolate, isn't it?).

Kerrin said...

wow Liz, what a great way to do this challenge!
i think you hate to run in the desert!!

Zan Marie said...

Good job! Mine is so lame compared to this. I think you don't run in the desert. ; )

annemhairisimpson said...

Well, since others have outed you re the chocolate and puzzles, I am also going with the quirk about not accepting 'I apologise' :)

Love the post, beautifully done :D

annemhairisimpson said...

Oh, and apparently fuliguline is a real word - I had to redo my post... :(

Nas Dean said...

It was a fun story. I really enjoyed it!

Louise said...

Hi, crusader and romance writer having a nose er, I mean, look over your blog. Nice!

DEZMOND said...

charming story, Liz :)

J.L. Campbell said...

Loved what you did with this post. I wish I'd been that original.

Arlee Bird said...

Very clever. And good dialogue.

Lee
Tossing It Out and the Blogging From A to Z April Challenge 2011

Liz Fichera said...

Thanks for all the kind comments today! Much appreciated. It's been fun reading the other posts. So clever!

Adriana said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adriana said...

Very creative, a totally fun read!

Devin Bond said...

I think running through the desert is your lie! Who'd put themselves in that kind of heat? Eek, I'd die.

Carol Riggs said...

Hey, nice you've already done your Challenge! Hiya, buddy crusader! I'm making the rounds today and checking out your blog. Nice to meet you, and Happy Friday! :)

Artzicarol Ramblings

L'Aussie said...

You've done a great job, crusader. Loved it.

Denise:)

Trisha said...

I loved it! :D

Sylvia van Bruggen said...

I crusaded in here :) What a fun way of approaching the challenge!

I think the fib is running in the desert :)

projectfraeya said...

That's a really creative idea for a post, love it. I think the lie is running in the desert.

raisingmarshmallows said...

making crusader rounds. Nice to meet you, now following!

Nikki

The Golden Eagle said...

I love the way you wrote up this post!

My guess is the I'm sorry/apologize part is the lie. :)

Yves said...

Love it...

Tanya Reimer said...

Love your post. Very fun. bet you don't run in the desert though, but what do I know, I live in the snow.

C. K. Bryant said...

So, so creative. I’m a fellow crusader and thought I’d stop by to say HEY! Great blog! I’m your newest follower. You can find me at www.christinebryant.blogspot.com .

Catherine Ensley said...

Hey there fellow Crusader, I'm making the rounds today. Your crusader challenge entry is great, but what I like more is your quote about kicking in a window. I've always gotten where I want to go by sneaking in the back door. It's worked well for me in life.

L.A. Colvin said...

OOhh I like yours. I'll say the Scrabble.

Carrie said...

Great take on the challenge!

Heather M. Gardner said...

Ha! That was very well done.

Kerri Cuev said...

Ha! Very creative, great job!

Sherry Cahill said...

This is hilarious! Such a great way to end it. Good luck with your entry!

www.sherrycahill.blogspot.com

Margo Kelly said...

Nice. I'm a fellow crusader and new follower.

tinadchayes said...

The lie could be that you run in the desert?

Amanda Milner said...

Lol! This eas great. Um, I will say running in the desert is the lie. Sounds way too hot and dusty to be enjoyable.

Lisa Potts said...

I love the format. Good job. Although I cannot fathom the thought, I would guess that you don't actually like chocolate.

Patricia A. Timms said...

Very creative! Great use of the words.

LadyJai said...

That was awesome! could be the running in the desert is your little white lie?

Hello fellow crusader!

Hart Johnson said...

Oh, excellent presentation! This was very fun! And I also think 'I apologize' sounds pretty darned insincere... assuming that's not the lie... though as a first timer, I am not sure which the lie is...

Donea Lee said...

Speed dating ~ :) Too funny! Hello fellow crusader - I'm going to guess that you actually hate deserts?

Chenoa Fawn said...

That was fun Liz. Running with coyotes? Is that 'the lie'?

If you'd like to deploy your dialogue skills some more, check out the collective writing experiment I'm running in March:

http://tinyurl.com/4zd7or7

Chenoa

kar_took said...

What a wonderfully creative way to do the challenge.

Surely noone like to run in the desert?