Monday, January 31, 2011

Time At Last

I felt a little like bookworm Henry Bemis this weekend from one of my fave TWILIGHT ZONE episodes called Time At Last except, fortunately, without the catastrophic explosion.  I pretty much read to my heart's content without a care to tomorrow.  Like Scarlett. 

Over the weekend, I read a bunch of books including Michael Northropp's TRAPPED and Alexandra Monir's TIMELESS.  I started two more: Emma Donoghue's ROOM and Cecelia Ahern's THE BOOK OF TOMORROW.  I've got everything all posted at Goodreads, my home away from home, if you want to learn more. 

Best of all, I went to a book signing on Saturday night for debut mystery author, Tina Whittle, who've I've gotten to know online these last few months.  Tina is cool.  Her mystery, THE DANGEROUS EDGE OF THINGS, has been published by The Poisoned Pen Press.  I'm lucky to have The Poisoned Pen Bookstore here in my own backyard (practically) so I hope that means more return visits by Tina.  Her book has already received starred reviews and I've got an autographed copy in my hot little hands.  Looking forward to another quiet weekend where I plan to savor every delicious word of this mystery.

Finally, back at the O.K. Corral, I've got a lot of writing and editing to do this week.  Hope your weekend was filled with good books too.  I've got my chocolate-covered espresso beans right next to my keyboard because I've got a feeling it's going to be one of those weeks.  So much to do, so little time.

Read any good books this weekend?

10 comments:

Shirley Wells said...

I love weekends that can be spent with good books.

How cool to go to a book signing too. I'll look forward to hearing what you think about The Dangerous Edge of Things.

Taryn Kincaid said...

My weekends are often almost as hectic as my weekdays, though Saturday is the day I've tried to get in my writing. Can't recall this Saturday...hung around on-line trying to social network and such, watched Inception...spent some time reading Nalini Singh's Archangel's consort. Love down time when I can do nothing but read! Did get in a little writing time on Sunday, which is unusual. Must get in more!

Angelina Rain said...

I’m glad you enjoyed your reading. And a signed copy! That is so cool. I love signed copies of books. I didn’t do much reading this weekend. I read one book for the review site I write for, but that book was very boring and un-enjoyable. I hate writing bad reviews, and I have to admit often times I dress the book up to look better than it really was, but it was impossible with this one, I just had to come out and say it like it was. It’s hard to write a bad review, but hopefully, nobody will read that review.

Anne said...

I loved that episode of Twilight Zone. Family Guy spoofed it once and I giggled.

I'll be going to a book signing in March. A first for me. They always sound like so much fun.

Maria Zannini said...

I am deep into historicals lately. I just started book 3 of 4 from Tracy Anne Warren. She's amazing.

Linda Leszczuk said...

I'm reading an early Elizabeth Peters, The Lion in the Valley. I only discovered her Amelia Peabody series last fall and, as I usually do, headed back to the first one so I can read them in order. Currently on number four. (Mixed in with a lot of other books/authors, of course.)

Nas Dean said...

Hi Liz,

I dug deep into some writing craft books this weekend. And I caught up with all the classes I'm taking with Angela James....titled Self Editing...

Liz Fichera said...

Glad to hear you ladies had nice weekends, too.

@Anne - they spoofed this episode?! I'll definitely have to check that out. Glad to hear that something that's 40+ years old still lives on.

Danette said...

I'm reading 'Salammbo', trying to catching up on some classic lit right now. It's quite amazing. I'm also reading "The Moral Landscape' which is fairly heavy duty but worth it. I wish I had more time for reading and writing!!! Thanks for you comments on my piece today!

Tina said...

Liz, seeing you show up at my veryvery first book signing was a HUGE treat, the chocolate syrup on the sundae. I hope you enjoy the book, and I hope I get out Arizona-way again soon (since I'm preparing for Chicago this weekend, the desert seems a distant, and fond, memory).