Monday, December 6, 2010

Sweet Home, Chicago

Even though it's cold enough to freeze the nose off your face, I'm happy to be back in Chicago, at least for a little while.  Aside from spending time with my sister and her family, I get to indulge in a few of my favorite things like deep dish pizza, the Chicago Art Museum, the Morton Arboretum, public transportation galore, and seeing a few old friends who never change, no matter how many years pass by.

Yeah, my writing has definitely taken a vacation too.  I haven't written a paragraph in the last week in my latest WIP, although I have finished a couple of books that have been in my TBR pile so I don't feel like a total slouch.  I've posted a few new reviews on Goodreads.

Saturday, though, we were greeted to about six inches of beautiful snow.  My sister's backyard looked like an Ansel Adams photograph.  Mary and I had made plans to go into the city to a friend's party but had to cancel at the last minute because the streets hadn't been plowed.  Naturally, we did the next best thing.  We had a neighborhood snowball fight.  It was a total blast.

Here's a video montage that my nephew and I put together.  We called it "All's Fair In Love And Snowball Wars."  I've added it to my YouTube channel.  How cool is that?! Hope you enjoy! And hope you've been a lot warmer than I've been in the last week.

15 comments:

Colette said...

Liz, Looks like a lot of fun! We haven't had any snow here yet this year, but it's coming for sure!

Georgina Dollface said...

Yes, an Ansell Adams photo is right! With the exception of having to drive in it, or walk down icy sidewalks, I really do like it when it snows. When I take photos outside in the snow, the white stuff is so vibrant that it creates such a strong contrast with the trees, giving the illusion that you really are looking at a B&W photograph. Glad you had a nice bit of time away! - G

Terry Linhart said...

Ah, welcome (again) to Chicago and our lovely snow/wind weather here 'round the lake. It's good for desert folk to experience once in a while.

Joanna St. James said...

oh that was really funny liz! you are such a big kid. Thanx for sharing the video it was really sweet and hilarious.

Lia Bal said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend, Liz. Hope you enjoyed the snow. Great video, it looked like a lot of fun. Where did you go for that deep dish pizza and how was it?

Jennifer Lane said...

I LOVE Chicago! Snowball wars are the best. Looks like a great time.

Lisa said...

Awesome video, Liz! Loved how you resorted to "Street Justice!" Too funny!!

KarenG said...

Enjoy your time in the Windy city!

Liz Fichera said...

Lia, Thanks! We ordered from a hole-in-the-wall pizza place but, jeez, was there pizza great! I don't get anything that compares in Phoenix, unfortunately.

Jennifer, I couldn't agree more! Snow just begs for a neighborhood snowball fight.

Lisa, Thanks and glad you liked it! It was fun putting it together with my nephew too. My niece took the pics.

Karen, Thank you! I'm having a great time, despite the cold. We (the kids and I) are hoping for more snow. :-)

Liz Fichera said...

Colette, We're having a blast! And more snow to come.

Georgina, Yes, it's very Ansel Adams-ish right now. It's like the world turned black and white. Kinda cool.

Terry, Thanks for the welcome! It's always great to come back. I do love the Midwest.

Joanna, Glad you enjoyed it! It makes me smile when I see the pics of my nephew. We laughed till our ribs hurt. I'm still kinda sore.

Ann Best said...

I came to Naperville last December when my younger sister died (I really miss her!). It was FRIGID. Zero or below (van only registered zero). I have avoided the place in the winter, content to just get weather reports via the phone from my sister.

I think I followed you once, but then a blogger glitch forced me to do a new blog. I'm trying to get re-follow those I want to keep in touch with. I enjoyed this lively post! Ah snow. I could live without it the rest of my life, but it has provided many memories.
Ann Best, Long Journey Home

Linda Leszczuk said...

Great video. But why does your nephew appear in some of those shots to be outside in a t-shirt (in the snow!)? What is it with boys and their aversion to coats?

We didn't manage a snowball fight in our first snow of the year but we did go cut down our Christmas tree. Always more fun to do when it's snowing.

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Ann, Great to see you again! So glad you stopped back by. Don't get me wrong: While I love the snow and seeing family, I'm always happy to return to the desert. Just wish I could bring my sister and her family with me...

Hi Linda, Your guess is as good as mine! He's like a hot box. It drives my sister crazy when he refuses to wear a hat or insists on wearing a sweatshirt when it's 20 degrees outside. Unfortunately I have to remind her that she did some of the same things when she was 12. :-) It's nice being the older sister!

Julie Musil said...

That video was great! I got cold just watching it. I live in Los Angeles County, and I think I'd probably die of cold if I spent a winter in Chicago. It looks beautiful though.

And reading counts as work when you're a writer, right?

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Julie, Great to meet you! I love visiting Chicago--but glad I can go home, especially during the cold months! And, yes, reading definitely counts as part of the job, IMO!