Monday, November 8, 2010

Sweet Dreams

I don’t know why but when I dream, my dreams can be so unbelievably vivid. In fact, to not dream, is sort of unusual for me. And I had a couple of doozies this past weekend. One of my dreams seemed to go the entire night when I know that science will tell me that it probably lasted no more than a couple of minutes.  Dang science!

Sunday night, I dreamt that I was back in college. I was attending Indiana University (never been there; have no idea why I would even be dreaming about the place) and living in a dorm (shoot me now, please). For some bizarre reason, the dorm room that I shared with another girl had a connecting door to an auditorium-style lecture hall. And I seemed to be the only one in my dream who thought that was kind of strange.  People traipsed in and out of our dorm room all day long.  Totally weird. 

When I told my husband about the dream the following morning over coffee, he laughed, like he always does. He loves hearing about my dreams almost as much I love having them, no matter how bizarre.  That's because they're like whole entire stories, better than Twilight Zone episodes sometimes.  Sometimes he dreams some pretty strange dreams too but he never remembers his as clearly as I do mine.

So it will come as no surprise to you then that the main character in my next book with Carina Press is about a woman who has some pretty amazing dreams, where the line between reality and daydreams gets pretty murky. Suffice it to say that I cannot wait to share that novel with you! 

Do you dream wild dreams at night?  Do you remember dreams that you had from years ago?  (I can still remember a dream I had when I was 10 years old.  Vividly.  Although it was more like a nightmare.)  Do you ever have the same dream twice? (I used to dream the same dream over and over when I was in high school. Long story.)

So, excuse me while I take a snooze. Wake me up in twenty. :-) 

12 comments:

Tory M said...

Heh - I can definitely say yes to the "have you ever had the same dream twice" question. I remember having them all the time back in high school. Strangely I had a dream which referenced back to a PRIOR dream, which was pretty awesome actually. I guess I had a dream sequel.

My dreams, some of them anyway, have been crazy vivid, but supposedly that's normal in pregnancy. Much prefer them when they're about the vampires I write about rather than depressing ones regarding my state of pregnancy.

Maria Zannini said...

Oh, man. That's a post in itself.

For an artist I've always thought I had very unique style of dreaming.

I dream in grays. Only one thing in the dream appears in color. I've learned to pay attention to whatever it is because it usually means something. Obviously, I'm smarter asleep than I am awake. :)

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm lucky that from the time I was young I knew I was dreaming most of the time and was always in some part able to control the dream. Sometimes, now I'm older, it eludes me. I need to be concentrating on something I want to dream about while falling asleep. At the moment it's not always possible to keep my mind on one thing. lol.

Liz Fichera said...

Tory, I think my dreaming back in high school was part-survival, part-I don't know what. But I had the same dream over and over. It was a happy one. At the time, I needed it.

Maria, I can remember dreaming in anything but color. Weird, eh?

Hi Anon, That's what I've read: Think about a problem before you go to sleep and supposedly you'll dream the solution. That has worked for me with plotting problems. Not much else.

Nicki Elson said...

Do you know what's strange? One of my very good girlfriends has extremely vivid dreams that she remembers every detail of...and she also lives in AZ! Hmm, must be that desert air.

I'm just a normal dreamer, but every once in a while I have a doozy.

Liz Fichera said...

Oh, no Nicki! You mean its in the Arizona water?! Or air?! I wouldn't be surprised!! We're a crazy lot. ;-)

Colette said...

Sounds like a great character!

Liz Fichera said...

Thank you, Colette!

Marianne Arkins said...

I have absurdly vivid dreams, and remember them nearly every morning. I've blogged about a few (once quite recently actually).

I love the idea for your heroine ... will look for the book when it's out!

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Marianne, I will need to spend some time visiting your archives!

Joanna St. James said...

meh! I dont believe science, for those of us wacky dreamers, there has to be another explanation.
I do not dream every night, but when I dream I do more than one sequel, I have gone up to part 8 so 8 consecutive nights I have had 8 almost movie like dreams.
I shall definitely be able to identify with this character. You are the queen of crazy dreamland while I am the mayor :)

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Joanna - Welcome back! And please post those pics on your blog soon!! Preferably plenty of the football players, s'il vous plait! ;-)