Monday, November 1, 2010

Lost in Writer Space

I had one of those lost weekends, although not on purpose.  After not being sick in over two years, I broke my healthy winning streak this past week.  Thank you out there to whoever in Phoenix bequeathed their creepy cold germs to me.   Now go away, cold.

On the bright side, in my antihistamine and heavy-duty aspirin-induced drug haze, I wrote a killer ending to my current manuscript and returned to writing another book that I started over a month ago.  I think there's something to be said for a numbed mindset and writing breakthroughs.  Perhaps pain really does positively influence writing after all?!

No gain without pain has new meaning for me.

In other desert news, Craig and I rented two really good movies Saturday night that I have to pass along because I love unexpected surprises:  YOUNG VICTORIA and THE LOSERS.  Two totally different movies but worth the price of a rental.  I hadn't read very good reviews for YOUNG VICTORIA and, as usual, I'm glad that I ignored them.  I loved the scenery and the love story, and I thought the actor who played Prince Albert was perfect in his role.  A completely different movie, THE LOSERS is based on a comic book (who knew?).  Lots of blow-it-up action with the good guys winning in the end.  Jason Patric stole the show.  The writing was superb, and it was filled with so many great lines.  Great fun, in a dark sort of way.

******
Time to go hoppin'

If you already know the drill, hop on!  If not, check out Lisa's page for more deets.  Feel free to follow and I'll follow you back!

11 comments:

Donna Cummings said...

Hope you're feeling better soon! Although, maybe not, since it helped you with your writing. :)

I saw Young Victoria recently too and really enjoyed it. I like Jason Patric so I better find The Loser now. Thanks for the recommendation.

Lia Bal said...

Hope you feel better soon.

Colette said...

Liz, it's nice that something good can come out of being sick!

Maria Zannini said...

Sorry you've been sick, hon.

I've been wanting to see Young Victoria. I've never heard of The Losers, but I'll keep an eye for it.

Thanks.

Joanna St. James said...

aaww get well soon Liz. But hey Book's done thats a plus

Liz Fichera said...

Donna - if you like Jason Patric, you'll LOVE this movie. Let me know what you think!

Lia - Thank you! Me, too!!

Colette - I'm nothing if Glass Is Half Full Girl. It's a sickness. Totally.

Maria - Thanks! Good movies, both. Hope you enjoy.

Joanna - I'm hoping that when I reread what I wrote that it will still sound as good as it did on Saturday! We shall see.

Shirley Wells said...

Ooh, hope you're feeling much, much better now.

I loved Young Victoria too. Excellent stuff. I must look out for The Losers.

Liz Fichera said...

Thanks, Shirley! I think you will enjoy the dark humor in The Losers. There are several lines that I still think about.

Elise Warner said...

Feel better Liz. At least your germs were inspirational.

Anne R. Allen said...

So sorry about the cold. I think the germs are always out there. Sometimes your number just comes up.

Thanks for the film recommendations. I'll go put them in my Netflix queue.

Feel better soon!

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Elise! Inspirational germs? Yes, I suppose they were. But they've overstayed their welcome. ;-)

Hi Anne! If you do see these films, let me know. Would love to hear your thoughts!