Friday, November 19, 2010

First Gifts Blog Hop: My First Anniversary Gift Story

A big humongous thank you to everyone participating this weekend in the First Gifts Blog Hop! And smooches also to everyone who helped me and The Mojito Literary Society spread the word this past week.  Girls (and even a couple of guys) just wanna have fun, right? I so look forward to reading everyone's stories.  *takes a sip from virtual mojito and a bite from a chocolate cupcake*  And without further ado, here's my story:

******

My First Anniversary Gift

Craig and I had dated only six months before we got engaged.  (I know--brilliant, right?!)  We were married a whopping nine months after we met (No need to say it!  I know.  More brilliance)  We were young(er), mostly broke, but pretty happy.  Anyway, it probably shouldn't have come as a big surprise when I opened my first anniversary gift, a mind-boggling 20 years ago.

Craig lovingly wrapped the gift in pretty bright paper.  It even had a shiny bow! I was so excited to open it.  How many times do you get to open a first anniversary gift?  Once, right?  (Well, once, usually.)  Still, I thought my loving husband of 12 months knew me better than anyone in the whole world.

I would be mistaken.

Friends, I give you what Craig and I would eventually call The Bridle...

The Bridle

Bridle is the first thing that came to mind when I laid my eyes on this hideous gold-plated monstrosity.  Gaudy, chunky, and weighing about a pound (although it felt like 100 around my neck), this was jewelry that someone with big hair, power suits, and pointy shoulder pads would wear.  Like those chicks on Dynasty.  Like Alexis and Krystle Carrington and people who spell their first names one way when you think they should be spelled another.  And I am so not a power suit, pointy shoulder pad, weird first name kind of gal.  I am the complete opposite of that!  I don't even wear a lot of jewelry--never have!  Why Craig ever thought that I'd even remotely like this necklace, I have no idea. 

Of course, when I first opened it, I had to pretend that I loved it because, well, that's how nice people behave.  Gifts were never dissed.  Ever.  It was supposed to be the thought that counted, right?! 

Um, yeah.

But it was our first anniversary!  You only get one first anniversary!!

So, I wore The Bridle to our fancy first anniversary dinner that night.  But the whole time it felt like a noose around my neck, and I couldn't stop agonizing over why in the world Craig would even for one millisecond think that I'd ever like this thing. 

Finally, at dinner, I guess I had been acting kind of quiet.  Over crème brûlée, he came right out and asked, "You hate it, don't you."  It wasn't a question.

With a big guilty lump in my throat the size of a peach pit, I reluctantly replied, "Yeah."

Then we both laughed hard enough to attract the attention of most of the restaurant.  And we learned three valuable lessons that night:

1) We wouldn't hold back when we were upset, no matter how bad.
2) Craig wouldn't buy jewelry without me. 
3) Crème brûlée would always be our favorite dessert. 

And, The Bridle? It's still the ugliest piece of jewelry in the History of Ever but I wouldn't part with it for anything.

31 comments:

Francine said...

Hi,

Hee hee, but it's the thought that counts! I dare say there are those who would *adore* such a flamboyant piece of costume jewellery. I'm with you on style: if it's going to be gaudy make sure it's diamonds!! ;)

Lovely story re honesty in all things marriage.

best
F

Joanna St. James said...

Ha ha its not that bad Liz! altho am with Francine on this one, if its real then the bigger the better. I will keep it in a bank and still never wear it. That said my mum still shoves things around my neck sometimes so there might be a picture of me flying about somewhere.
I think it's sweet he was able to read you so well, most guys would be basking in their best gift ever glow to notice.
Is it ok if i put my story up tomorrow? I already scheduled a guest interview for today.

Shirley Wells said...

Ha, ha. Too funny.
Actually, it's not *that* bad. Although, yes, it would look great on Alexis. :)
Thanks for sharing!

Maria Zannini said...

Beautiful or hideous, they mean the same because of who gave it to you.

Cute story.

Liz Fichera said...

Thanks, Ladies!

Joanna, post away whenever it works best for you! Can't wait to read your stories. :-)

Eleri Stone said...

Funny! At least you got creme brulee out of it : )

Donna Cummings said...

Liz, it sounds like a great first anniversary dinner--especially if you both got to laugh so hard over the "wrong gift". :)

Looks like he's a keeper!

Tina said...

A keeper indeed. You must be too. I mean, you actually wore the thing, right? But mostly because of the rest of it, the honesty and sense of humor parts. And the creme brulee. Can't forget that.

Liz Fichera said...

Oh, I've been reading such great First Gift stories all morning. I've cried, laughed, and shaken my head in amazement. LOVE it!

Susanna Ives said...

Creme Brulee makes up for so many sins. Luckily, my husband has never given me a "you must be kidding" piece of jewelry.

It helps that his uncle is jewelry maker in Denmark.

Lia Bal said...

Aw, such a cute story. Sometimes, if it’s from the right person, bad gifts are just as special as the good ones.

Bobbye Terry said...

Love this! I don't let my hubby buy my jewelry either for obvious reasons--he prefers hunting equipment. Great story!
Bobbye

Talina Perkins said...

Oh, what a fabulous first gift story, Liz! Francine said it all with ..." make sure it's diamonds!!"

Thanks for sharing!

Rachel Firasek said...

Laughing so hard my sides hurt. At least you learned a very valuable lesson. Truth is always better.

Nicki Elson said...

Aww---funny AND sweet! Rule #2 is priceless!

"Like Alexis and Krystle Carrington and people who spell their first names one way when you think they should be spelled another."

Hahahaha! Paints a very vivid picture and YES the bridle would look just lovely with those
shoulder pads---they'd sort of balance each other out.

But hey, at least you remember the gift, right? And you still have it. Like I said: Awww

Jennifer Wells said...

I love your story! Very funny... and I agree about the creme brulee!

Madeleine said...

Awh bless and you kept it too! Great story.
I have finally had a moment to upload my entry. I was asked to redesign the church website and have been hard at work these past 3 days. :O)

Liz Fichera said...

These posts have been great! So clever, heart-warming, and everything in-between. I'm on an emotional rollercoaster, reading them. Dare I say it: Better than chocolate!

Traci Bell said...

Having met and married my husband in seven months I look back and think we were crazy, but wouldn't have it any other way.

Love the necklace, the laughter and the desert!

Dru said...

That is such a cute story.

Keri Stevens said...

I can't help it. I cannot control myself.

Giddyup.

Twimom227 said...

I LOVE IT! What a great memory! It's so good that you learned right away some valuable lessons! Thanks for sharing!

Monti said...

I love jewelry so probably would have liked it no matter what.

Nice story.

Monti
NotesAlongTheWay

Mythik said...

This is a great story. Very honest and deeply affectionate. You can feel the romance and humanity of it all... just plain great writing.

Talei said...

Love this! Great story and I love the 3 lessons from that night. I rarely hear of a guy will buy jewellery and get it right. I agree its the thought that counts and its really nice that you kept it. ;)

Joanna St. James said...

hey Liz thanx for the Fabio comment, that is catching on like wildfire. Talei is right guys hardly ever get jewelry right I once copied a tradition from a book and told my husband at the birth of each kid he had to buy me either rubies or pearls (in my mind rubies for boys and pearls for girls) I had a boy he bought me a string of pearls, since he said it was from our son i did not say a word.

Liz Fichera said...

Thanks, all! Your comments and stories are filling me with all sorts of happy this weekend! And, Joanna, I'll be by your blog to check out the Fabio wildfire. And color me jealous that you got chocolate from him! And, pearls from the hubs?! You got real-live pearls?! You live the good life!

Kittie Howard said...

A really nice story! Your guy's heart was in the right place. Liz, your photo makes the bridle look pretty good...little black dress, very low lighting in an older-than-you setting and no one would know it's costume.

Liz Fichera said...

Kittie, You're way too kind to the Bridle! It would only look good (maybe) in a completely dark room.

Heather M. Gardner said...

Great story Liz. The jewelry store should be ashamed of themselves for letting a man buy that for a gift! They should have quizzed him before they let him out of the store!
Great lessons to learn so early in your relationship. Thanks for sharing your story and thanks for hosting the hop.

Caroline Clemmons said...

Liz, It's not THAT bad, it's for a woman who loves lots of chunky jewelry. He did try, so I'm glad you kept him. LOL