Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Feast Your Eyes On This!

No, this is not my Thanksgiving table.  But a girl can dream.

Thanksgiving has always been one of my most favorite holidays, despite my abysmal cooking skills.  Unless food can go into a crock pot or one pot, I consider it "gourmet." 

My mother, on the other hand, was a fantastic cook.  Unfortunately her children--especially the middle child (moi) cannot claim the same Martha Stewart-like skills.  I do remember watching my mother cook around the holidays, though.  I only wished I had picked up a few more tips in the domestic department.  And she'd always break out the china for special occasions.  Her china was so beautiful and delicate.  My grandmother brought it over when she emigrated here from Sweden in the early 1900's.  How a box of Limoges china made it here on a bumpy boat ride in one piece is a miracle in itself.  (Side note: I wrote a short story about these dishes years ago because their journey has always intrigued me.)  But I remember Mom saying, "What good are they if we never use them?"  Vintage Mom.

I also remember the mouth-watering aromas that floated from Mom's kitchen and every year everyone in my family always declared it to be "the best dinner ever."  And yet every year it was always the same thing--all the comfort foods that we loved--turkey, mashed potatoes to die for, green-bean casserole, cranberry sauce, and the best hot buttery rolls I've ever tasted in my entire life.  For desert sometimes we would have homemade oatmeal cookies or pumpkin pie.  Nothing too fancy and yet it was always delicious.

Following dinner, we'd always watch the same movie: IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE with Jimmy Stewart. 

Don't get me wrong, my crazy house was more CHRISTMAS VACATION than A VERY BRADY BUNCH THANKSGIVING SPECIAL but around the holidays, you always tend to remember the good and forget the not so good.  But we sure did laugh a lot.

To those in the States, Happy Thanksgiving! And even if you're not, the more the merrier.  Bon appetit!

15 comments:

Joanna St. James said...

we are having thanxgiving dinner a few days late but better late than never eh?

Dru said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Linda Leszczuk said...

It was my mum-in-law whose cooking skills I couldn't match. To her, anything that took less than three days to make was instant. Luckily, she cooked mostly Polish dishes and I did master the turkey and stuffing thing so I wasn't too embarrassed on Thanksgiving. (And getting out the fancy china always helps.)

Have a very Happy Thanksgiving.

Lia Bal said...

Your family sounds great and so do your holiday memories. I’m a horrible cook too. The only dish I’ve mastered is scallop potatoes and ham. I love my mother’s Thanksgiving dinners as she always makes the best dishes, and her stuffing is out of this world. A few years ago, her boss had asked her to make the stuffing for his Thanksgiving dinner. This year, I’m spending Thanksgiving with my husband’s family and they are not much fun on the Holidays. They don’t like turkey so they usually eat lasagna or something, they don’t drink on the holidays and their holiday conversation consists of what’s wrong with the world, how horrible life is, and that my wonderful mother-in-law is really the devil. I don’t care what they say, my mother-in-law is my favorite of that bunch.

Heather M. Gardner said...

I'm a lucky girl. I get Thanksgiving on Thursday and Saturday. Our family has always been flexible so we try to all get together no matter which day. We still go to my parents but I do most of the prep work and they do the finishing work. Love the smells. Love the laughter and of course ... the football!
Have a great day Liz!

Lydia Kang said...

For some reason, the Star Wars Trilogy always seems to be on around Thanksgiving.
That is part of our family tradition, geeked-out as it may be.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!!

Georgina Dollface said...

I always loved the kids table at our big family gathering! We had our own gingham tablecloth and I was always in charge of making seating tags for the 4 kids that sat at the table. It was always such a treat to not have to eat with the adults. We pretended we were on our own in a fancy restaurant. - G

Liz Fichera said...

Joanna, turkey is good anytime, IMO. :-)

Dru, and to you as well!

Linda, I had several friends in high school with Polish grandmothers. The food was de-lish!

Lia, hang in there!

Heather, I totally forgot to mention the football! We love that too!!

Lydia, I think that's what's great about Thanksgiving. We seem to do the same thing, year after year, and no one seems to complain!

Georgina, we did the same thing when my cousins visited. Too cute!

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

Taryn Kincaid said...

Wonderful memories. Have a great Thanksgiving this year!

Maria Zannini said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Liz. May you make many more new memories.

Sherri said...

I agree with your mom, what's the point if you don't use them.

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Caroline Clemmons said...

I think I'm lucky that both my mom and my mother-in-law were abysmal cooks. They tried. My mom did make great pies. Anyway, the result is that my husband thinks I'm a terrific cook. You think I'm crazy enough to tell him otherwise?

Marianne Arkins said...

I'm a decent enough cook... not gourmet, but I won't send you to the hospital. *G*

LOVE "It's A Wonderful Life". I watch it every year and never mind that I've seen it 30+ times, I still cry at the end. :-)

Liz Fichera said...

Ladies,

Thanks so much for commenting. It has been such a rollercoaster of emotions this weekend. It was a wonderful Thanksgiving Day but my family also got some very sad news this weekend. I will share more next week.

Till then, have a wonderful rest of the weekend! xo

DEZMOND said...

oh, Liz, I always love some kitchen talk :)