Monday, October 25, 2010

Sharing: Book Deal News!

I am excited to finally share that I'll be publishing a second novel with the very cool Carina Press in the Summer of 2011.  The current title is RUN FOR YOUR LIFE and it's a contemporary fantasy romance.  It's about an ordinary woman with raspberry scone issues who falls while running and wakes up with everything she ever wanted--the beauty, the body, and the gorgeous boyfriend.  But be careful what you wish for!

Even better, the über-talented and wonderful Liz Bass at Carina Press will be editing again.  Liz edited CAPTIVE SPIRIT and, I swear, sometimes I think she sees the inside of my brain.  So, the happy screaming that you heard coming from the American Southwest a few weeks ago when I initially got the good news from Angela James, lovely Executive Editor Extraordinaire at Carina, was probably from me.  No doubt I scared a few coyotes and jack rabbits when I shattered the silent desert with my high-pitched screams.

So, without further ado, here's a little trivia about RUN FOR YOUR LIFE:

1) I wrote it three years ago when I was training for a marathon.  I felt guilty about spending so much time at my local gym every day, so I decided to write a book in my head.  Each day, I'd dream up a chapter as I clocked miles on the treadmill.  Then I'd go home and pound it into my laptop till a story took shape.

2) It took me about 8 months to write the first draft.

3) Several of the characters in the book are based on people at my local gym.  Yes, Virginia, there really is a living, breathing woman in the world who is exactly like the Alexandra Summers in my novel.  Scary.  She walks the Earth. ;-) You'll have to read the book to find out more about her. 

4) I rewrote the book three times.  The third time was the charm.

I cannot wait to see (and share) the book cover.  Carina Press does such fab covers, in my humble opinion.  It'll get previewed on the Carina Press Facebook page, so you'll be able to see it there before I post it to my blog.  And like with CAPTIVE SPIRIT, there will also be a book trailer tease because, well, I adore book trailers. 

I cannot wait to begin sharing more with you because this novel was such a long-time coming.  Hope you'll love the story as much as I do. :-)

******
In other news...

If this is Monday, this must be Belgium--wait! Wrong! If this is Monday, it must be time for the Monday Author Blog Hop.  *And the crowd goes wild!*

The weekly hop is hosted by the wonderful Lisa Sanchez.  You can visit her blog if you need more deets, but basically she opens it up to any published author or authors with a publishing contract.  A great way to stalk meet new people and learn about new books.  Come follow and hop around!  I'd love to meet you!  And follow you back!

35 comments:

Donna Cummings said...

Liz, congrats! I'm so thrilled for you. And it sounds like a great fun read.

I like that you justified your gym workouts by writing a book. I need to justify my writing by going to the gym. LOL What a great way to multitask!

Liz Fichera said...

Thanks, Donna!

I think it's the Type A personality in me. Or Catholic guilt. Not sure which. :-)

Taryn Kincaid said...

Awesome! Thrilling news! Raspbery scones? Sounds like fun.
(Liz Bass is my editor too! Always helps pick just the right word!)

Susanna Ives said...

I enjoyed reading about your process, including how long it took you to write the first draft and all the revisions? How did the marathon go?

Liz Fichera said...

Thanks, Taryn! Y

Yes, Liz Bass's other title is miracle worker. I just HEART her!

Liz Fichera said...

Susanna,

Thanks! The marathon came and went. I didn't win. Shocker! :-) But I did finish. I've been running ever since.

Marianne Arkins said...

WOO HOO!! Congrats on the contract. And I agree about the Carina covers. They're amazing.

Liz Fichera said...

Thank you, Marianne!

Can't wait to see what the artists come up with for RFYL!

Sondrae Bennett said...

Congrats! I'm like Donna, I feel guilty when I don't get to the gym. But it's great that you got some inspiration from your time there. And the Carina covers are beautiful.

Sherri said...

Congrats Liz. I think I should try your method and write a book while working out, maybe I'll actually work out, LOL

Joanna St. James said...

yay now can you hear my high pitched scream from Europe? yeah sorry abt your wine glass I do high decibels sometimes.
Congratulations Liz! that is super cool and raspberry scones double yum okay I am going to walk around my town with a silly grin on my face but its totally worth it.

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Sondrae,

Thanks so much! Thinking about my book did make the hours pass a lot faster! I have to do something to counter my chocolate habit. ;-)

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Sherri,

Thanks! Guilt is a beautiful thing! Sometimes. ;-)

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Joanna,

Thanks--wish I could stroll around France with you! Hugs to you!

Nicki Elson said...

Congratulations, Liz! This is SO exciting. The premise of Run For Your Life sounds great and I love hearing the background on your writing process for this one.

I'm so happy for you that you're teamed up once again with an editor you work so well with. Awesome, awesome news. :D

KarenG said...

Many congrats Liz! I love the cover and the synopsis of this book, it sounds like my kind of read!

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Nicki,

If I could, I would join myself at the hip with Liz Bass! Not only is she a wonderful editor but she's a terrific writer too. Her latest, MISS YOU MOST OF ALL, was an awesome read.

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Karen,

Thank you!! I can't wait to share more about this book. Such a long-time coming. Lots of fun background story, I think. Hope you'll enjoy it. :-)

Marieke said...

Congratulations!! Wonderful news indeed! :D

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Marieke,

Great to see you again and thanks!!

Elise Warner said...

Lia...that is so terrific. slim, trim and a new book.

Talli Roland said...

MASSIVE CONGRATS LIZ! That's fantastic! You must be so excited!

Tina said...

Excellent news! I am sooo looking forward to this one too, as I am yet another with issues regarding scones of any stripe. Instant recognition factor.

And congrats on the marathon too!

Renee Miller said...

Congrats! That's awesome. I don't work out, but I use writing as an excuse to watch people. There's a real person behind all of my characters...sometimes more than one.

Anyway, it's good to read good news. Good for you, now do you still work out now that the book is written?

Renee Miller said...

Ha! Did I write 'good' enough times. Jeesh! This is what editing does to the brain.

Maria Zannini said...

Hey cool! We can be release buddies next year.

Congrats, Liz!

Lia Bal said...

Congratulations on your new book deal. It sounds very interesting and I cannot wait to read it.

Heather M. Gardner said...

Wonderful news! Congrats!

Liz Fichera said...

Thanks so much for all of your kind words, Ladies. I really appreciate it!

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Renee,

Yes, to answer your question, I still do work out. With my chocolate habit, it's practically a necessity. ;-) Seriously, I do love to run.

Jennifer Hillier said...

I'm glad I found your blog! Congratulations on your book deal! The book sounds awesome.

Anonymous said...

Great news, Liz...I am so happy for you and to know you. Excellent plot... I look forward to reading. You are a rock.
Susan

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Jennifer,

So glad you're here! Thanks for the kind words!

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Susan!

Long time, no hear! How are you?? It is so great to hear from you. Hope all is well with you.

Shirley Wells said...

Darn it, how did I miss this??? It just proves that I've been working too hard lately. :)

Many congrats, Liz. I'm thrilled for you. I can't wait to read it!

How great to 'write' chapters while clocking up miles on the treadmill.

Brilliant news. Well done!