Monday, October 18, 2010

Flower Power

Not only does October mean those bite-sized Halloween chocolate bars, but it's also a signal that I can finally plant my winter flowers.  I've given up trying to grow any flowers in the summer because it's just too dang hot in the desert for anything besides cactus. 

My fav flower?  Purple petunias.  I plant them EVERYWHERE--flower boxes, pots, hanging planters.  They are so gorgeous, grow as fast as weeds, and smell wonderful. 

So, guess what I did on Saturday?  Yep! Purple petunias galore! 

Gardening for me, like running, is a great time to let my mind go a little blank--or maybe I should say relax for a little bit.  It's quite therapeutic and it helped me to gather my thoughts around two books I'm trying to write.  I was so relaxed, in fact, that I decided that beginning this week, I was only going to focus on one of them.  Trying to write two books at once has not been working out for me the last two months.  My weekly word counts have been depressingly low.  I don't know how authors like James Patterson do it.  I think that guy works on about 12 novels at once.  The man is a machine!  Anyway, I'm going to focus on my young adult novel till the end of December.  Then I'll begin the rewrite of another contemporary romance in January that I absolutely love, love love! 

This is going to be a busy week here at the O.K. Corral! I'm also going to be doing a little guest blogging on Tuesday and Friday and hopefully I'll finally be able to share with you my super seekret news that I've been teasing about the last couple of weeks!  :-) 

*****
Don't forget the Monday Author Blog Hop hosted by the lovely Lisa.  You can visit her site for more details.  But this is a great chance to meet new authors, new books, and really nice peeps! 

If you're a published author or under contract, hop on below and don't forget to post the link on your blog page and grab this cute little author blog hop button.  Easy as pie.

21 comments:

Joanna St. James said...

I cant wait to know the secret. cant I get an ARC for the secret?
I hope u post a picture of your garden soon I bet it looks beautiful.

Donna Cummings said...

The purple flowers are lovely! And I would never have thought of "winter flowers" -- it's too cold here for something like that. I'm glad you get to have them, though, since your summer is too hot to enjoy flowers. :)

Judith Leger said...

Oh, they're gorgeous, Liz. I love petunias but always have trouble growing them. I usually plant Vincas in spring and they last till the first freeze in November. Yes I live in the deep south so the weather is really nice in the Fall and early Winter.

Georgina Dollface said...

Up here we plant winter pansies in the Fall. I'm a better gardener in the Fall than in the summer, because I don't have to water as often (something I sometimes forget). I can't wait to find out more about the secret! Have a great week! - G

Marie Harte said...

Hey Liz.
Those petunias are beautiful! Thanks for the info about the blog hop (got it from the CP author loop.) Happy Monday!

Marie

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Joanna,

Once the flowers get cooking (growing), I will take some pics and share.

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Donna,

It's funny you say that--the flowers my sister plants during the summer (she lives in Illinois) are the same flowers we plant here during the "winter" in the desert. Winter in the desert, of course, means 60-75 degrees F. It's brutal. Not. ;-)

Liz Fichera said...

Hey, Judith,

I bet Fall and winter in the South is just lovely, especially with all that beautiful moisture!

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Georgina,

Pansies are another fav of mine too. They grow wonderfully here in the winter.

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Marie,

Great to see you here! And glad you found the link. It's a lot of fun!

Amos Keppler said...

Quality before quantity, I always say. It's better to spend two years on a book, allowing the words to come naturally than to rush it in one year.

Shirley Wells said...

I adore petunias. I had lots planted out during the summer, but alas, the cold, wet weather has killed them off.
I'll soon be planting winter pansies.

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Amos,

So true! Thanks for stopping by!

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Shirley,

Winter pansies? Do you pot them inside the house or do they grow outside?

Shirley Wells said...

Liz, the winter pansies grow outside. They're wonderfully hardy. They get buried under snow sometimes but manage to survive it all. :)

Elise Warner said...

My window sills are filled with potted plants but nothing is flowering at the moment. I shall keep a mental picture of yours and think of a phrase in a song, "Hey buds below-Up is where to grow."

Maria Zannini said...

I'm with you! I can't work on two books at once, especially in the same genre. I'd be afraid one would bleed into the other.

Hurry up and spill your secret! :)

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Elise,

There is something about potted plants on windowsills that always make me smile. Such a happy sight, indeed!

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Maria,

Thanks so much for stopping by! I know you're superbusy with your blog tour. Best of luck to you on your release this week!

Nicki Elson said...

I agree that gardening can be SO therapeutic. I've really got to get back at it. In Chicago we've pretty much got mums and more mums for flowers this time of year, buuuut I found a pot of black petunias at the Home Depot and snatched them up. Just as long as they last through Halloween, I'm happy. :)

Can't wait to hear the seekret news...

Liz Fichera said...

Nicki,

Black petunias?! I would so love those! I bet they'd look gorgeous all blooming and fluffy! My purple petunias, assuming it stays cool enough, will grow until March-April. They are so beautiful and fragrant.

Mums? I really have a funny story about Mums, but I will save that for another day. ;-)