Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Rock Out!

Without getting into the heavy stuff like family, freedom, wide open spaces, chocolate, and coffee, music is pretty high up on my list of things I can't live without.  In fact, I can't work without it.  Ditto for driving and taking a shower because, seriously, who can't sing in the shower?

That said, my music tastes are pretty eclectic.  In a single writing day, I could listen to hard rock, new country, new age, show tunes, and Italian opera, depending on what I'm writing.  A chase scene? Give me anything by AC/DC.  A tender scene?  I'll plug in something angsty by Taylor Swift or maybe some old James Taylor.  If I want to cry, I'll listen to Andre Bocelli singing an Italian love song because his voice just gets to me right where your chest--your whole body--can ache from the emotion.  The Beatles, The Band Perry, Enya, Gershwin, The Three Tenors--there is no end to my weird music tastes.  In fact, here's a latest find that I adore.  It's Beckah Shae singing Life:



Do you listen to music as you work?  Any particular band or song that you can't live without?  Bonus question: Who remembers ARCHIES comics?

12 comments:

Joanna St. James said...

I remember Archies comics, I was on team Veronica though.
I love music too, i have not got in the habit of writing to it though cos am scared it might wake my son up or i will plagiarize the songwriter unknowingly lol.
This is my definition of a music lover, someone who would listen to anything as long as its music and find something they like in each genre, my taste ranges from eminem (he is good for conflict building) to the cranberries with a lot of bob marley,jason Mraz, RHCP, Scissor Sisters, Everly bros and mozart in btw

Dru said...

In my old office, I needed to have my radio on and I would listen to Top 40s, some R&B and some old school melodies.

Now in the office were radios are not allowed, I listen to the conversation around me. One of these days i'll need to bring my iPod here.

The best music when cleaning my place is classical music..nothing like listening to John Philip Sousa.

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Joanna!

Ooooh, I LOVE the Cranberries! Forgot to mention them. Love your eclectic mix!

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Dru!

No radios at work?! That is cruel and unusual punishment! I'll have to remember to put on Sousa the next time I clean. That might make me actually like housework!

Lia Bal said...

I love music. I listen to everything from classical to rap. Some of my favorites are Beethoven, Bach, Taylor Swift, Carrie Underwood, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Lady Gaga, Eminem, Johnny Cash, Queen, Aerosmith, and too many others to name. I need music when cleaning, cooking, and driving. When writing or reading, I prefer silence. Sometimes, when writing I have music on, but that’s only when I need to write an emotional scene, music helps with that.

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Lia!

So great to see you again! How's it going?

Oooh, you've listed so many of my favs. I adore Aerosmith!

Great to see you blogging again too!

Maria Zannini said...

I remember the Archies...but I don't bring that up in mixed company. LOL.

Ref: music

This proves I can't walk and chew gum at the same time. I can't listen to music while I'm writing, though I do like to listen to romantic music before I write a love scene. Puts me in the mood. :)

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Maria!

I could write a post about ARCHIES comics. Whenever I think about them, they remind me of my childhood friend, Lynn. Long story.

Listening to romantic music when writing love scenes is almost essential for me too.

Shelley Munro said...

I vaguely remember Archie comics :)

I love music and usually have it playing, but once I get in the writing groove I don't hear a thing. That comes in handy when I'm writing in a busy cafe though.

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Shelley!

Well, that makes three of us who remember Archie, Betty, and Veronica. Oh, how I wanted to be in their band!!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I don't sing in the shower, but music is playing at all other times. Sometimes even when the TV is on!

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Alex!

Me, too with the music. It's always on, even when it just plays inside my head. :-)