Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Fashion or Faux Pas?

I saw this photo from New York Fashion Week and knew I had to write about it--at least file it away for future use somehow.  You see, I absolutely suck at describing things like a main character's clothing, shoes, or make-up in my stories mostly because I have very minimal personal experience in that area.  So I rely on photos and other people's experiences, you know, people who have a better flair for this area than me.  Like whoever designed the outfit on this runway model.

I'm kind of a jeans, t-shirt, and sandals kind of girl.  If I have to get all dolled up, it's usually under heavy protest.  Just ask my sisters.  My sister Mary threatens to throw out half the clothes in my closet every time she visits. 

That doesn't mean I don't like fashion or that I can't apply a thin layer of mascara to my eyelashes.  Occasionally.  It just means that I can think of about a million other things I'd rather do than worry about clothes and make-up.  Now, shoes, don't get me started. :-) That's a completely different story...

Seriously, when you look at this photo, do you see fashion or do you see a girl wearing oven-cleaning mitts?  And do you like the girly girl novels that go into great detail about all things fashion?  Or are you sort of lukewarm about the whole thing?

11 comments:

Donna Cummings said...

Wow -- that does look like something that would be made fun of if someone was wearing it at a discount store. LOL

I'm not big on a lot of description of ANYTHING, I guess. Wait. Well. *blushes and runs away*

Joanna St. James said...

to me this is fashion to the hilt. the poncho and leather/pvc are all the rage now. that said I still wont dress up like I am in a music video if I am going shopping.
sometimes I describe what they are wearing especially if it adds to their character, e.g. someone who only wears chanel suits to work

Sandra Ulbrich Almazan said...

I finished reading a novel yesterday where the MC did wear a lot of famous-name clothing. The names didn't really help me picture the clothing, however. I preferred it when the author simply described the clothing.

I'm with you in being a jeans/T-shirt or sweater woman. (I get cold easily.) There are probably lots of women readers out there who do care about fashion, but I can't write to appeal to them. If anything, I'd rather show in my stories that fashion isn't everything.

Candyland said...

I see a freaking hot mess. Who really wear this crap?!

Anita Mae Draper said...

Honestly, Liz, my first thought was that from the expression on her face, she got ticked because her hair got caught in the sink drain while brushing her teeth and she didn't have time to fix it before they called her out.

If it's a necessary part of her persona, okay, but otherwise, I won't even recognize the names. Or even some of the colors. Or the styles. *sigh

Jeans and tshirts for me. However, I'm having professional photos done at the ACFW writing conference this weekend and I'll add some mascara and lipstick for that...if I remember how. Do they still call it lipstick? LOL

Anita Mae.

Maria Zannini said...

I have zero interest in fashion. As long as they're wearing clothes, I really don't care for long explanations.

Finally, a model with worse hair than I have! LOL.

Liz Fichera said...

All,

I am getting such a kick out of reading the comments today. It appears that with fashion (like art or even a great book) there is no in-between. Fashion appears to be a love it or leave it kind of thing.

Sherri said...

That's fashion? Ugh! Guess I'm not into 'fashion' then, LOL

I'm more like you Liz, jeans and t-shirts.

Susanna Ives said...

I don't understand fashion, but I love looking at the pictures in Vogue. I watched "The September Issue" on a plane and I keep thinking about it. It's cool when fashion is art and self expression.

Heather M. Gardner said...

She looks like she just left the Flock of Seagulls video!

I'm not very good with fashion description. I use clothing store websites to find the latest trends in clothing and put them on my characters if appropriate. I like my characters dressed but they don't need to be fashion plates.

Taryn Kincaid said...

Oh, definitely FAUX!

(But what do I know. A woman at work today was wearing a shiny yellow suit with bizarre patterns of some mystery material. Couldn't tell if it was lame. Or Mylar.

(Can't make the accent here, so you'll have to trust me that was supposed to be LAH-MAY, not LAME. Although, on the other hand...)