Monday, August 23, 2010

Postcards from the Edge, Family Pics, & Blog Hop

Every summer, my sister Mary and I pick a place to visit and we meet there.  It's a lot different than the vacations we had as kids, which felt more like a Griswold family vacation, complete with the old station wagon and getting lost (many times) in the middle of nowhere.  Like northern Minnesota.  Fortunately, we can look back and laugh. Mostly.

Today, our vacation prerequisites are pretty simple: There must be a beach, good restaurants, and a place roomy enough for all.  This year, we rented a lake house in Union Pier, Michigan, along Lake Michigan.  It was absolute heaven.  Even better, Union Pier is a relatively easy drive from Chicago where my sister and her family lives. 

Swimming, fishing, reading, walks along the beach, fruit and vegetable picking, long happy hours (my brother-in-law Joe makes the best margaritas!), and, of course, ice cream.  What's a vacation without large scoops of homemade chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream?  After every dinner meal? 
Here are a few pics...
My niece, Olivia.
My nephew, Andrew, in the cornstalks
Mary and me, blueberry picking.
We had fun with rock/sand art.

As usual, the laughs and good times were many and it went way too fast.  I miss my sister already.

Do you have any vacation rituals?

Other stuff:

Don't forget, it's the Monday Author Blog Hop! A great way to meet new people and books. Check out these authors and leave a comment as you hop around! If you're a published author, join the hop. It's easy and you'll find the link below.

9 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

Welcome back!

We haven't been on vacation in ages. Though we've been contemplating a visit back to Chicago. It's been a few years.

The only prerequisite I have for a vacation is that I have the dogs boarded at a great kennel. I can't relax unless I'm sure they're okay. I even have a friend check on them just to be sure.

Liz Fichera said...

Thanks, Maria! When I was young and had my collie, I absolutely hated to board her at a kennel. I don't blame you for being uneasy about it.

Georgina Dollface said...

In 4 weeks I finally get to go on vacation! I can't wait. I've missed being away this summer. I opted to work while everyone else went on holidays. The office is much quieter when no ones around, but I do have to keep the resentment in check and remind myslef that I chose my schedule. We still don;t know where we are going to go, but I like your list of criteria. That's a good way to start planning. Have a great week! - G

Liz Fichera said...

Thanks, Georgina! You, too! :-) Hope you get your vaca soon!

Nicki Elson said...

Sounds like a beautiful vacation! My group family trips are always to Disney World because my mom and dad love it so much. It is magical, but not quite as relaxing as yours. For next year's trip, the kids and I have a plot to buy everyone viking hats instead of mouse ears and cause a ruckus at the world. ;)

If you're ever looking for other easy-drive-from-Chicago ideas, and if your family likes roller coasters, Cedar Point is a good choice. Five hours from Chicago, beach (the whole resort in on a peninsula in Lake Erie) and there's a variety of accommodations in walking distance to the park. Can't say enough good things about it. Oh, but the food is just eh.

Liz Fichera said...

Nicki,

Love your idea to rock Disney World! Go, you! Will mention Cedar Point to my sister. We're always looking for new places to try. Thanks! :-)

Talina Perkins said...

I can't remember the last vacation we went on, it has been that long. Your vacation looked like heaven!!! I am so glad you had fun and got to spend so much family time with everyone. That is the best part.

Since I live at the beach, I would have to choose a place away from the heat and sunblock. I think a grand castle in Ireland would do just fine!

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Talina, you live AT the beach?? Color me green with envy! That must be wonderful!

Leslie Lim said...


Wonderful put up, very informative. You must continue your writing. I’m confident, you’ve a great readers’ base already!

Jorcel
www.imarksweb.org