Tuesday, August 31, 2010

CAPTIVE SPIRIT goes Audiobook!

I learned yesterday from Carina Press that the very cool Audible.com will produce an audiobook for CAPTIVE SPIRIT.  Naturally, being the mature adult that I am, I was calm, cool, and collected when I got the news.  NOT!

So not!

I danced around the house like an idiot, smiling till my cheeks hurt.  Then I wolfed down half a bag of chocolate-covered espresso beans.  (Fortunately I had just gotten back from a long run at my local gym.)  And my original plans for plowing through at least sixty pages of edits? Totally got kicked to the sidelines.  I couldn't concentrate for three hours, waiting for my heartbeat to slow from all of the excitement.  Of course, I had to call my husband, my sister, my parents, the mailman, strangers walking down my street.  Anyone who'd listen.

Side note: The first question I was asked by the producer at Audible was how to pronounce my last name.  :-)  My name! So cool.  He wanted to make sure they got it right in the audio.  That made me smile and if I could I would have hugged him.  Mostly because no one ever pronounces my last name correctly, not that it's anyone's fault.  I've got one of those weird Italian last names that's pronounced differently than how it's spelled. 

I've been asked by a couple of people who the reader will be for my book.  I don't know the answer to that question yet, but in my head I can almost hear the voice.  I'm sure Audible will get it right.  They produce quality work.  And as soon as I can share, I will let you know. 

If you're not familiar with Audible, it's a cool way to download books to your iPod, MP3, cell phone, and a whole host of other devices.  If you travel a lot or if you travel a lot in your car, it's a cool way to "read" books. Check them out!
In the meantime, excuse me while I continue my snoopy happy dance.  And my edits for my current WIP.

Back to reality.

22 comments:

Susan said...

CONGRATULATIONS, LIZ !!!
Soooo awesome. Again, I remain so proud and envious of you.
Susan

Francine said...

Hi,

Fab news!

That's such a coup to be in the audio list!

best
F

Liz Fichera said...

Thanks, Susan! Thanks also for being brave enough for being one of the first readers!! :-)

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Francine,

Thanks so much! Thanks for stopping by!

Vegetarian Cannibal said...

Congratulations! :D I've never "heard" an audio book before. Seems like its on the rise, though.

Liz Fichera said...

Thanks, VG! The last audio boook I read (on tape, no less) was THE GREEN MILE. Yet I have friends who travel a lot who swear by them. I can't wait to give it more of a whirl!

Maria Zannini said...

That is so exciting!

PS I was so impressed at how "calm" you were. :grin:

Liz Fichera said...

Maria, ha! Yes I was the absolute picture of calmness!! P.S. My heartrate is still a little raised.

Jo-Anne Kenrick said...

Congrats on the Audio Book -- I love Audio Books! Well, it's a book, right? hehe
But seriously, Audio Books help me when I'm feeling icky. I curl up in bed and zonk out to a great story. And with me having two up and coming surgeries, this is perfect timing. i can recover while indulging. How awesome is that?

So...
How DO you pronounce your name?

Liz Fichera said...

Thank you, JoAnne! And I'm sorry to hear about your surgeries! That's a bummer - hope they go well...and fast.

I used to travel a lot by car so audiobooks (although of the tape variety) came in handy way back when. I look forward getting into it again with Audible.

My last name? The "ch" is a "sh" sound. So, phonetically, it's "Fish-era" And no one ever gets it right on the first try. I wouldn't either if I didn't know any better!

Joanna St. James said...

wow thats a big deal and am happy for you.
I joined goodreads yesterday still poking around but i'll add u soon and guess whose book is going in my to-read pile?

Liz Fichera said...

Thanks, Joanna! Hope you enjoy it.

Yes, please friend me on goodreads! I'll look for you too.

Donna Cummings said...

Wow, that is exciting news! Go you! After that many espresso beans, did you ever get to sleep? LOL (I got carried away once, eating them like I thought they were M&Ms. LOL It's a wonder I ever slept after that!)

Anyway, congrats again. :)

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Donna,

What is sleep? :-)

Talli Roland said...

That's sooo cool, Liz! Please keep us updated! I'd love to hear it when it's out!

Liz Fichera said...

Thanks, Talli! Will do!!

JW said...

Stopping by to mingle from the BBQ. Your excitement made me smile and inspires me to keep writing. I am happy for you! I look foward to reading your blog and checking out your books. Enjoy the journey always, Janelle

Liz Fichera said...

Hi JW,

So nice to meet you and thanks for stopping by! :-) I'm off now to pop over to your blog.

Keri Stevens said...

I love audio books. I download them to my phone, pop in my earbuds and people tell me stories while I walk. This is wonderful news, Liz.
And I've been emphasizing the 2nd syllable (fish-ER-uh) so now I know better :)

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Keri!

No nice to see you here! And thanks!! I'm looking forward to getting into audiobooks a little bit more. Now that I can download to my MP3, it'll be great for long runs/walks.

Tia Nevitt said...

I am seriously thrilled for you. Please accept my somewhat tardy congratulations!

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Tia!

So nice to see you here--and thanks! :-)