Monday, August 9, 2010

Beach Blanket Bingo and Power Cords

Packing for vacation sure has changed.  Aside from the usual stuff that you don't want to forget like your toothbrush and clean socks, there comes a much more important item that you wouldn't dream of leaving behind: Power cords. 

Craig and I have power cords for everything: cell phones, laptops, Netbooks, e-readers, MP3s.  It's almost to the point where they need their own suitcase.  I can hear the ticket agent at the airport gleefully informing us, "That'll be $50 for the extra baggage weight..." 

And it's become impossible to leave any of the cords behind no matter where we travel, although we might check email a little less frequently.  Ditto for the cell phones.  But run out of power for my e-reader?  Right in the middle of a great book?  Perish the thought.  I'd be miserable.

What do you refuse to leave at home when you go on vacation? 

***********************
Other stuff:

Today I'm also guest blogging with a very cool book blogger who I met a few weeks ago on another blog.  She's a voracious reader and reads gobs of books each week.  Come meet Jen at That's What I'm Talking About.  She'll be posting her review of CAPTIVE SPIRIT tomorrow plus there's a giveaway!  Click here.

Plus, since it's Monday, don't forget the Author Blog Hop started by the very cool Lisa at Confessions of a California Cheer Mom.  I think her posts are hilarious.  And she got this party started.  Another great way to meet new authors and book lovers.  If you visit any of the authors listed below, don't forget to leave a comment and tell them where you heard about them.  Remember: It's a blog hop (not a bunny hop) only more fun! :-)

15 comments:

Lisa said...

I hear ya on the power cords. I hate them, but they are so necessary. For me, I never go anywhere without my phone. That baby is always in my hand, or nearby in my purse or pocket. I have a sick obsession!

Oh, and thanks for spreading the love about the hop. I start a new Linky list every Monday, so make sure you join in!

Liz Fichera said...

Done! And thanks, Lisa! :-)

Georgina Dollface said...

You are so right about this! I hadn't really thought about it but it seems like the cords, the chargers, the power bars (I suggest one of these at all times - a hotel electrical outlet once fried our laptop)take up a handbag of their own! - G

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

Welcome to the Blog Hop! :)

Lia Bal said...

I hear you on the power cords. Now-a-days, you’d be lost without a cell phone. Even my 76 year old grandma has one. I can not travel without my books/e-book reader and cell phone, and both need chargers. I also always take batteries for my digital camera. I also can’t go anywhere without my i-pod. Credit cards also make vacations fun, but now-a-days I tend to leave most of them at home and only take one so I don’t over spend.

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Susan, thanks for stopping by! :-)

Liz Fichera said...

Lia,

Great point about batteries--and thanks for the reminder! Our digital camera will need them. And we want to make sure to pack that too for the vacation. If I had to choose between taking my e-reader and clean socks, I'd take my e-reader! :-)

Laura said...

I refuse to leave books at home. Or my laptop, cell phone, etc . . . LOL. I hardly fly anymore because I just pack way too much. :)

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Laura,

We do tend to bring a lot of stuff with us wherever we go, don't we? ;-) Regarding flying, it's not something I look forward to. At all. Thanks for stopping by!

Vegetarian Cannibal said...

My boyfriend is the power cord nut, hahaha! He's a software engineer so he's always bringing along his gadgets and gizmos whenever we travel!

Me? I go anywhere my laptop does. I don't like cell phones (I JUST got a cellphone 3 months ago) because I don't like people calling me and I like my privacy, so I don't bring a lot of cords with me.

I checked out your interview! Cool stuff! I grilled you pretty good! Hope you liked my questions. :D Your book looks pretty interesting!

Cheers from the Vegetarian Cannibal~

Liz Fichera said...

Vegetarian Cannibal, are you stalking me?! ;-)

Seriously, I didn't mind your questions at all. Ask away! Glad you popped on over to Jen's blog--I really appreciate it.

My cell phone, although it goes with me everywhere, is used to call 911 (God forbid, if necessary) and to call my husband when I have a flat tire. I do not spend hours gabbing on the phone with friends. I prefer to do that online! :-)

Vegetarian Cannibal said...

Of course I'm stalking you. :D

Interesting writers whet my appetite! *ahem* Don't take that too literally (I don't think I'll put you on the menu just yet...)

*grins*

Liz Fichera said...

I guess I should be thankful you're a vegetarian! At least I hope you are?! ;-)

Shirley Wells said...

Oh the dreaded power cords ... and when you arrive, they're always tangled. Even my toothbrush has one. Better a 'dead' toothbrush than phone or e-reader for me though.:)

Liz Fichera said...

Shirley,

I'm just hoping this trip we don't lose one. Seems we always lose at least one power cord each trip. Guaranteed!