Wednesday, July 14, 2010

TWILIGHT, Team Jacob, and Native Americans in Mainstream Books

While there have been valiant attempts to bring Native American characters to books and film (e.g. Sherman Alexie, Tanya Landman, Scott O'Dell), no one, in my humble opinion, has brought them more to the forefront than Stephenie Meyer and her jaw-droppingly successful Twilight Saga franchise.  It has certainly been one of the happy consequences of the books' success.

And if you haven't heard of Team Jacob, the Cullens, or Bella Swan, you need to seriously get out of the house more often. 

Yeah, I know the Twilight books hardly qualify as Hemingway or Harper Lee and we could debate their literary quality from now till kingdom come, but you can't deny that Meyer has created a story that connected with millions of people (yes, even a few men) all over the world on some deep, indescribable emotional level.  And, hey, it doesn't hurt that the story contains a lot of hot-looking guys who must spend most of their free-time doing stomach crunches and push-ups.

One of the reasons I was drawn to the series was because of Jacob Black and his brothers in the Quileute tribe in La Push, Washington.  I loved the Quileute legends that Meyer wove into the story.  I also think that Taylor Lautner has done a fine job of portraying Jacob Black in the movies based on Meyer's books.  (Side note: I have not seen Eclipse yet.  I generally wait till I can rent them on DVD.  And I do not own a Team Jacob t-shirt.  Seriously). 

As someone who loves to write stories with Native American characters and Native American legends, I couldn't be happier with Twilight's success.  I also happen to be talking about this very topic over at Teresa D'Amario's blog today.  We've posted some pretty hot pics of Taylor and my fav Native American actor, Adam Beach.  I will also be giving away another free copy of CAPTIVE SPIRIT on Teresa's blog to anyone brave enough to leave a comment or ask a question.  What's not to like?

Come play! Click here.

4 comments:

Shirley Wells said...

Hot pics? I'm on my way. ;)

Liz Fichera said...

Shirley, Enjoy!

Leah Braemel said...

Sign me up! I've always been Team Jacob, and he's only gotten better with each movie. I thought Stephenie handled the native elements really respectfully.

Liz Fichera said...

Leah,

I agree totally! I've heard Taylor steals the third movie. Can't wait to see it when it comes to DVD.