Monday, July 19, 2010

My Happy Place(s)

Whenever I'm having a crappy day, I know that there are two places where I can go to make it better:  Bookstores and Museums.  Instant smile.  Sometimes, even inspiration.  I was thrilled to learn about a new museum in Scottsdale this weekend that I'd never heard of.  It's called the Huhugam Ki Museum, pronounced Hoo-hoogam Ki.  It means House of the Ancestors. 

The Huhugam Ki Museum is yet another place where people can go to learn about the incredibly intriguing Hohokam Indians, Phoenix's original inhabitants.  Considering they vanished from the Sonoran Desert over 500 years ago after having arrived around 300 BC, they were quite advanced for the times.  Farmers and master canal builders, some of their canals even exist in the desert today.

In fact, I'm told people visit the modest building from all over the world.  The museum itself is an adobe building constructed a half century ago and was originally used as a children's home.  It serves a dual purpose.  Not only is it a museum about the Hohokam to the world at large, but it's also a cultural resource for the nearly 9000 members of the Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community on the east side of the Phoenix Valley.  The Pima believe that they are descended from the Huhugam, also known as the Hohokam, although Huhugam is becoming the preferred transliteration in the Pima community.

The museum is also dedicated to the community's veterans and holds a permanent exhibit that lists all of the tribal members who have served in the United States Armed Forces. 

As I write my sequel to CAPTIVE SPIRIT, I can't wait to visit.

Where's your Happy Place?

12 comments:

margaret blake said...

Sounds a fascinating place, would love to visit and might just do one day.

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Margaret, definitely add to your list, the next time you visit the Southwest!

Dru said...

Sounds like a fun place to visit.

my happy place is in the inside of a book or a museum.

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Dru, I'm with you!

Shirley Wells said...

What an amazing place, Liz. And fascinating/heart warming to know that some of those canals still exist.

I love bookstores too. They're guaranteed to put a smile on my face. My favourite Happy Place is the sea. As soon as I hear the waves, I'm smiling. :)

Liz Fichera said...

Shirley, *sigh* I don't get to the ocean nearly often enough. Color me envious!

Talina Perkins said...

Liz, I love stopping by your place! You always bring interesting things to read about. Living abroad has limited the resources of museums and libraries. It is what I miss the most about home!

Thanks for sharing such a great place, Liz!

~Talina

Liz Fichera said...

You're so welcome, Talina! And that's one of the benefits to the Internet--it's the next best thing to being there! :-)

Susanna said...

Great post. One day I hope to make out west again. Hope your sequel is going well.

Liz Fichera said...

Hi, Susanna, I hope you make it out West too! The sequel is somewhat plotted, although I'm trying to finish up edits on another. Just need more hours in a day. The usual.

Maggi Sherwin said...

I'm a kindred spirit Liz - museums and bookshops. My special place when I lived in Dorset, especially on a bright spring day, was the garden of the tearooms adjacent to Corfe Castle. I could sit there and make a pot of tea last an hour and then ask for more. These days it's a stroll round the gardens of nearby Polesden Lacy.
Maggi

Liz Fichera said...

Hi Maggi,

The gardens sound lovely! I love visiting your blog and seeing all the beautiful pictures. :-)