Monday, June 7, 2010

I Hear Voices

Finding your voice when writing a book is a little like riding a bike for the first time--at least it is for me.  You start peddling, your legs are shaky, you almost tip over a bunch of times, but then finally you find your balance and you hit that stride when you know you can ride all the way around the block.  You might even ring the bell!  And when you feel like you can ride that bike forever, you know.  You just know.  Kind of like the porridge, it feels just right. 

I hadn't hit that stride yet--found that clear voice--for one particular character in a book that I've been working on.  I thought I did but I didn't.  It's told in alternating viewpoints between a teenage girl and boy.  It was easy to find the girl's voice; the sixteen year old boy's?  Not as much.  My voice kept coming out in the narrative and dialogue instead of his voice.  He's sixteen I was making him sound too much like a thirty year old woman.  Not good. 

But on my last rewrite, I got it right.  I can feel it.  And I'm ready to ring the bell.

How do you know when you find your voice? Does it change, depending on POV?  Is your voice the same in every book you write?

5 comments:

Jude said...

Voice is something I struggle with. Sometimes it takes more than one draft before I get it right. Sometimes ten.

By the way, saw your tweet this morning about the Carina Press site. I'm going there now to pre-order Captive Spirit. :-)

Kristabel Reed said...

I want to know where you found that picture! Cracks me up.

Voice is hard, I agree. Sometimes I have to really let the characters percolate a bit until they come through.

Liz Fichera said...

Kristabel,

I stole that pic shamelessly from the web. I think I googled "big ears" or something equally lame.

Regarding percolation, yeah, I know what you mean. I've rewritten my male teenage character twice but I do believe third time will be the charm for him. He's starting to "feel" right.

Ron in Anthem said...

Saw the CP site today--saw your book too. So glad it's finally happening.

Liz Fichera said...

Thanks, Ron. It was a long time comin' ;-)