Monday, May 10, 2010

Welcome Author Donna Hatch to the Blog!

I'm really pleased to welcome fellow Phoenician and author, Donna Hatch, to the blog today. You don't often meet a lot of writers from the American Southwest so when you do, you grab them.

Donna has been the best selling author at Wild Rose Press for two consecutive months for her Regency romance, The Stranger She Married. She also was a finalist in the Golden Quill Contest, recognizing outstanding published authors. All of her novels, The Stranger She Married, The Guise of a Gentleman, and fantasy Queen in Exile, as well as her novella, Trouble Hearts have received four and five star reviews across the board.

Feel free to visit Donna at her web site or her blog and learn more about her latest work, The Guise of a Gentlemen.

*********************

Q: Start by telling us a little about yourself. Where are you from? When you were young, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Donna: I am a native of Arizona and I’ve lived here most of my life. When I was a child, I wanted to be a ballerina, an actress, and an author. I took ballet lessons, was a drama geek in school, and now I write, so I did them. Sorta.

Q: Do you plot your story before you write it or do you sit and let it flow?
Donna: I usually have a vague idea of where I’m going, but mostly I let it flow. I had to develop my heroine but my hero pretty much stepped off the page fully developed.

Q: Do you have a favorite book or series?
Donna: I love anything by Lynn Kurland or Julia Quinn and I am currently working my way through everything by Sharon Shinn and Georgette Heyer.

Q: When you're not writing, do you have any hobbies or interests?
Donna: I love, love, love to read! I also sing, play the harp, ski - both water and snow - and play with my children. And as cheesy as it sounds, I love more than anything to just hang out with my husband, dancing, going for walks, or just cuddling.

Q: Okay, tell us about your release, The Guise of a Gentleman, Book Two of the Rogue Hearts Series.
Donna: Here's my backcover blurb: The widowed Elise is a perfect English lady living within the confines of society for the sake of her impressionable young son. Her quiet world is shattered when she meets the impulsive and scandalous Jared Amesbury. His roguish charm awakens her yearning for freedom and adventure. But his irrepressible grin and sea-green eyes hide a secret.

A gentleman by day, a pirate by night, Jared accepts one last assignment before he can be truly free. Elise gives him hope that he, too, can find love and belonging. His hopes are crushed when his best laid plans go awry and Elise is dragged into his world of violence and deceit. She may not survive the revelation of Jared’s past…or still love him when the truth is revealed.

Q: What are you working on now?
Donna: I'm finalizing the edits on book 3 of the Rogue Heart's Series which isn't titled yet. (Gulp.) Each book is a stand-alone book, about a different brother of the Amesbury family, and the family members wander in and out of each other's books. And I’m polishing a new, unrelated Regency that has won the SARA Merrit writing contest and I’m getting ready to submit it to the NY editor who requested it. I’m also trying to finish a new Teen/Young Adult paranormal which has had three agent requests. So much to do, so little time...

Q: You have a bunch of kiddos, how do you find time to write? How do you balance family with writing?
Donna: Yes, with 6 children, making time to write is very challenging. I do much of my writing at night after they are in bed, or during nap time, but when I'm on a roll, I write instead of unimportant things like fix dinner. I haven't dusted since last Christmas and I gave up scrap booking. All my children are in school now, so now I can write after they all leave for school, until I have to go to work every afternoon, so that really cuts into my writing. However, I'm very focused, (or obsessed) so I keep at it at odd times of the day. And night. Sometimes insomnia is a good thing.

Q: Dusting is overrated, I'd say! Do you write to music or the TV?
Donna: I sometimes listen to instrumental music, but nothing with lyrics or a drum beat otherwise it’s too distracting.

Q: They say you can learn a lot about a person by their surroundings. What does your work area look like?
Donna: I carry my laptop around with me and work wherever I am.

Q: What do you like to do when you aren't writing?
Donna: I love to read more than almost anything else. And I love music; I sing, play the harp, and am the choir director for church. I also like to swim, water ski, snow ski, and dance. I have absolutely no hand-eye coordination, so I don’t play any team sports and sports fans worldwide thank me for it. And, sappy as it sounds, I love to spend time with my husband, talking, walking, playing racquetball, or just cuddling.

Q: Where can we find The Guise of a Gentleman?
Donna: The Guise of a Gentleman is available at The Wild Rose Press, Amazon, and all Barnes & Noble Locations (some stores may have to order it for you, but that costs the same as if it were on the shelf)

Thanks, Donna, for spending time with us today! Good luck with your new release!

5 comments:

Jude said...

I love historicals! Your latest book sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing!

Ron in Anthem said...

Six kids and you find time to write? Impressive! What are your YAs about?

Donna Hatch said...

Thanks Jude. I hope you like it.

Ron, my YA is currently top secret ;-)but I plan to give J.K. Rowling a run for her money. Hint: there are no magic wands or vampires.

Anonymous said...

I am a Julia Quinn fan too! Your book sounds like something I'd enjoy. Thanks!

Liz Fichera said...

Donna,

Thanks for visiting the blog. Best of luck with the book and drop by again soon!

Liz