Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I Write, Therefore I Am?

Social media is both a blessing and a curse. 

From a writer's perspective, it's a blessing because you get to connect with people from all over the world even if sometimes the only thing you really know about that person is his choice in cool avatars.  Everybody usually has an opinion and something to say. 

And since I spend the vast majority of my days connected to my laptop, tapping away stories that hopefully don't turn into drivel, sometimes social media is the only connection I get with the outside world.  Or an occasional old boyfriend with whom I don't want to reconnect. 

The curse part is that I spend way too much time twittering, facebooking, tumbling, stumbling, surfing, and sometimes just generally wasting obscene amounts of time.  Hey, but it's fun and where else can I get my daily online Scrabble fix?

Then I remember that's what the X (close box) is for and at some point return to my book writing. 

How much time do you spend online?  How much is too much?  A blessing or a curse?

7 comments:

Ron in Anthem said...

I try to confine my social networking stuff to the morning. Doesn't always work that way, though. I like it. More blessing than curse.

Jude said...

It can be addicting. Just say no? ;-)

Stacey said...

I'm always online during the day. Even when I'm writing, I get instant alerts for FB, email, etc. If you allow it, it can consume a lot of time. For me, I find that I can't just sit and write my day's word count in one shot. Surfing, etc. act as my break and I love socializing with so many great authors!
I'm rarely online evenings and weekends, so make up for it weekdays ;)

Shirley Wells said...

I curse it every single day. It's the close box - I forget it's there.

However, when I stop to think about it, I think it's more of a blessing. It offers 'company' in a strange sort of way and that's a good thing for writers. Some days, I don't leave the house other than to walk the dogs in the hills, and that can't be healthy. On the other hand, some days I don't get any words written because I'm too busy with the social networking. It's finding the happy balance that's so important.

Liz Fichera said...

Ron, I try to do my stuff in the morning too; doesn't always work out that way, though.

Jude, I think that's an understatement, especially in my case! ;-)

Stacey, I wish that I was disciplined like that. When I start writing, I have to turn it all off. Like I will this p.m. But it is so great connecting with writers and readers, isn't it? Can't imagine NOT having it.

Shirley, my breakaway is to go to the gym and run. When I come back, I try very hard to keep my fingers and eyes on my WIP!

lisa said...

Two words: irresistible temptations

...plus a whole bunch of other words that entertain, distract, encourage, distract, amuse and distract me

Liz Fichera said...

Lisa, it is a little like too much chocolate. :-) But, then again, can there ever be too much chocolate?