Tuesday, May 11, 2010

And The Beat Goes On...

I'm finishing up a rewrite of a YA that I absolutely love (yes, it includes another Native American character) before I send it off to my Agent Lady. I had to change the Point of View. I had originally written it in third-person but after getting back some feedback from a few editors, the general consensus was that it would read better in first-person. You know what? They were right.

The rewrite was long and brutal but totally worth it. It really helped me to get more inside the head of my male teenage character, which was a blast. Teenage guys sure are a puzzle, aren't they? And I thought I had it tough as a teenage girl! But rewritten in first-person, Ryan seems much more vulnerable although he's still part bad boy. I heart him! I really don't like reading perfect teenage boy characters in YA novels because, let's face it, they're not perfect at that age. And I especially hate it when I read dialogue from 16-year old boys that sounds schmaltzy and way beyond their years.

So, it took about a month to slog the rewrite. Now I'm reading it once, and then maybe twice, just to make sure everything ticks and ties and sounds the way it should. With any luck, I press the SEND button on it on Friday. Then the waiting begins again.

In the meantime, I'm popping over to the Carina Press web site every day to read about the new books coming out in June. My TBR pile hasn't just grown, it's exploded! It looks like it will be a fun summer.

2 comments:

Kristabel Reed said...

I haven't read many YA books, but did enjoy the Percy Jackson series. It's told in first person from Percy's POV and is awesome. I adored it ad read all 5 books in about a week. I can definitely see how changing points of view to be inside your hero's head would make him more real, more vulnerable.

Impressive!

Liz Fichera said...

Kristabel,

My nephew was the one who got me hooked on the Percy Jackson books. Loved those! And thanks for the vote of confidence. I'll let you know if it sells! :-)