Friday, March 5, 2010

A Little of This, A Little of That

I've been on a middle-grade reading and writing kick lately. The last book I wrote was a middle-grade with a boy protagonist (a first for me) and I've recently started another one. It is so cool to get inside the head of a 12-year old kid again. Maybe it's because I actually enjoyed those years, as opposed to high school where I literally counted down the days before graduation.

Anyway, in my current WIP, I've decided to experiment with a little world-building. Think THE LION, THE WITCH & THE WARDROBE but more 21st Century. And in Arizona, of course, so there will be cactus. And creepy spiders.

My story is starting to take shape, and in my mind I'm beginning to see my characters and hear their voices. Still, it's a long way from being done. I'd like to say that it will be done by June/Julyish, but the freelance writing gods have blessed me with much writing work this year. I've got more than I can handle. But handle it, I will.

On my nightstand:

1) THE LION, THE WITCH & THE WARDROBE. I'm rereading it for the zillionth time. I so adore this book. And I'm a kid all over again, wishing that I could be Lucy and stepping through that big, honking wardrobe.

2) Just started the first book in the Percy Jackson series. I love the author's voice! I'm ready to be blown away with his world-building. My nephew loves this series so I wanted to see what all the fuss was all about. Now I know!

3) GAME CHANGE. Yep, I finally got a copy today. I like to read non-fiction on the car trips back and forth from Overgaard.

4) DEAR JOHN. I have one chapter to go. I love how Nicholas Sparks weaves emotion into his plots. He's a master at tugging at your heartstrings. I'm a little disappointed, though, that the plot is a little predictable but I'm enjoying it. Hey, I was craving a tearjerker. And I got it. Now I can rent the DVD when it comes out. And have I mentioned that the actor who plays John Tyree is beyond adorable?

I've got tickets to see SECRET ORDER at the Herberger Theatre for Saturday night. More on the play next week.

Happy Writing! Have a great weekend!

P.S. The wildflowers are starting to pop up all over the desert. Hope you enjoy the photo with this post.

5 comments:

Pete said...

You do the same. Have a great weekend! Hey, I'm reading GAME CHANGE too!

Sandi said...

I've heard of Secret Order. Look forward to hearing what you think.
Later!

Stace said...

I'm a total sap. I loved DEAR JOHN. But didn't really care for the movie, unfortunately.

P.S. I've got a question for you about queries. I will email it to you. :-)

Deb said...

My kids love the Percy Jackson books. We haven't seen the movie yet.

RR said...

My wife reads nothing by young adult novels. The LA Times wrote an interesting article today about adults and young adult fiction. I'll look for the link and email it to you.