Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Inspiration

I don't know what it is about the Phoenix Art Museum but whenever I have writer's block, the place always delivers for me.

Craig and I visited the art museum on Valentine's Day to see the Ansel Adam's exhibition called Discoveries. It's on loan from the University of Arizona's Center for Creative Photography. You can read my full review of the exhibit at DowntownPhoenix.com. And you might be wondering, what does this have to do with writing novels?

Answer: Sometimes you find inspiration in the strangest places. On Sunday I found it in 120 of Ansel Adam's black and white photographs. His photographs of the American Southwest leave me speechless. Best of all, it got my brain spinning on all sorts of plot lines and characters for two books I'm working on. Don't ask me how--or why, exactly. It just happens. And sometimes you have to take it where you can get it!

5 comments:

Pete said...

You are absolutely right about those inspirational moments. They happen when you're not looking for them. Great post! I wish I lived in Arizona and could visit the exhibit.

SWL said...

I saw the Adams collection in Tucson. Fabulous!

Lynnette said...

The photo on your page is beautiful!

toni said...

I like that downtownphoenix site. Glad you're blogging over there too. Haven't been to the art museum in a while. This exhibit sounds worthwhile.

Joy said...

Thanks for the info about the exhibit. I live in Queen Creek and will definitely make the trek into Phoenix to see it.