Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Writing in a Winter Wonderland

I got back from Chicago this week--and just in time. Although it snowed most of the time I visited my sister, she tells me the snow got worse after I left. I wish that I could tell you that I went sledding and ice-skating and all that fun winter stuff. But, truthfully, we spent most of our time inside because it was so freaking cold. After living in Phoenix for so long, I forgot how cold it got in the Windy City. Normally I return to Chicago in the Spring and Summer. I'd also forgotten the shorter days, too. It seems to start getting dark in Chicago at around 4 o'clock. Weird. And the normally grey skies didn't help.

I didn't write one word while I was away. I left my latest WIP at home, although I'd be lying if I didn't say that I thought about it about 12 times a day. So, this week I've been working on some edits. I realized that one of my characters needs another layer of development. But overall, I'm still loving the way it turned out. One of my reader friends called it DIARY OF A WIMPY KID but with science. I'm going to read it a couple of more times over Christmas before shipping it to Holly for a read. It's my first attempt at MG, so I'll be interested to hear what she thinks.

By the way, I got an early Christmas present this year: a Netbook. And I just LOVE it! The thing goes with me everywhere and practically fits in my purse (although I'll need to buy a slightly larger purse). That's okay. I've had my eye on a cool one at Dillard's. It sort of looks like this:

Love those westerny, fringy purses that hold everything. I'll be hunting for the perfect one after Christmas. Oh, yeah!


6 comments:

Sarah said...

Welcome back! We've missed you. Happy New Year too!

Laura said...

Love that purse!!

Pete said...

Love the photo of the snow cactus. Merry Christmas, all!

Sherri said...

We had two feet of snow yesterday. I'll take your cactus anyday. Merry, Merry! And good luck with your WIP.

Liz Fichera said...

Merry Christmas, all! Thanks for your comments. Look forward to blogging with you next year.

Keep writing!

Tia from Texas said...

Yo, hope you had a Merry one! Happy New Year too!