Friday, November 13, 2009

Planes, Trains, and Television Shows

I prefer to blog about writing and books. (I'm finishing up THE STORY OF EDGAR SAWTELLE. Presumably I'm the last person in America to do so.) But I have to mention a couple of television shows that I never miss each week: GLEE and SUPERNATURAL. And, oh yeah, THE OFFICE.

If you've not tuned in to GLEE this season, you must. Talk about creative and hilarious and clever. It's laugh-out loud funny. It's the story about a high school glee club (brings back memories!) but it's not your mother's glee club. These kids are super-talented and their teachers are a riot. My favorite teacher is the evil physical education teacher, Sue Seymour played by Jane Lynch. IMO, she absolutely steals the show and reminds me of a high school P.E. teacher I had who was only slightly less evil.

SUPERNATURAL is the other show I never miss, but it's been on a few seasons already. It's taken a decidedly funnier tone this year. Dean and Sam, brothers who hunt ghosts and demons, are perfect in their roles. I don't think I've missed a single episode.

I don't know if it's because I've written a couple of YA novels lately that I'm drawn to shows that are probably targeted to people in high school but these shows are so much fun to watch.

Then, of course, there's THE OFFICE. This show reminds me of my corporate days and I can relate to it on so many levels. The scary part is that it's a comedy but it's hardly make-believe. Offices are filled with Michael Scotts and Dwight Shroops. I've worked with a few of them.

Must-see TV!

4 comments:

Cindy in Maine said...

Love Glee! You're right about the gym teacher, but I think the whacked out wife of the glee club teacher is pretty funny too. A faked pregnancy? Too funny...

Pete said...

Like Supernatural. Haven't been able to get into Glee. Love The Office.

Nancy said...

Total Glee addict here!

Liz Fichera said...

Pete, you might need to see the earlier GLEE episodes to get into it. I promise it will be worth the effort. ;-)