Monday, October 19, 2009

That Pivotal Moment

My fingers have been smoking across my keyboard the last couple of weeks. Two reasons: I've been finishing up a freelance writing project in between churning out chapters for my latest WIP. I never thought writing an entire book in the perspective of a 12-year old boy could be so much fun. But I'm having a blast.

And I love it when I think a story should go one way but it goes in the other. Jonas, my protagonist, likes to zig when I think we should zag. Like most of the characters I like to write, he's sufficiently flawed (who likes perfection?) and he's at that stage in his life where he's between boy and man. That makes him fun, perplexing, endearing, and curious--at least to me. Hopefully my early readers will agree.

I've written nine chapters so far. I've already plotted the story but it keeps changing direction on me, especially as Jonas fires up my pages. My goal is to have the first draft completed by the end of December. Barring any floods, sickness, tornados, power outages, earthquakes, or alien invasions, I may get my wish.

5 comments:

Laura from Tenn said...

I can totally relate. But I love it when my fingers kind of take control of my story and my brain has to catch up.

Jen said...

Great to read your new post. So glad things are moving along. Mine has gotten better.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your book!

Liz Fichera said...

Laura, love when that happens! Writing nirvana!

Jen, thanks. Glad to hear you're having some quality writing time.

Anon, thanks for stopping by!

Nancy said...

I'll say it again: CAN'T WAIT to read it!