Friday, October 30, 2009

Happy Halloween! And please don't say "Punkin"

So I'm at my local gym yesterday. Thursdays are one of the three days of the week I do a long distance run on the treadmill. It's also a day where I try to position myself in front of a gym TV with something fairly interesting to watch, for obvious reasons.

The treadmill I chose was smack-dab in front of a talk show that paraded out these adorable kids in Halloween costumes. They were so dang cute! At first, it tugged at my heartstrings because who doesn't remember trick-or-treating? Who doesn't remember the house in the neighborhood that always passed out the best treats (oversized Snicker bars were a fav)? And who doesn't remember the old guy who always made you do a stupid trick before he gave you a treat? My sisters and I would purposely avoid that house like the plague!

Anyway, back to these kids on the daytime talk show. What struck me were their costumes. Seems no one wants to be a witch or a princess or a ghost anymore. Too boring, I guess. The kids on this particular show came dressed as their favorite reality TV star. I'm talking Jon & Kate Plus 8, the Housewives of Atlanta, and even some of those celebs from the cooking shows. I mean, gag me with a spoon.

Anyway, I really felt old watching these kids and yearning for the days of yore, which really weren't that long ago. I guess wearing a pointy witch hat or a tiara are considered dull by today's standards.

That won't stop me from passing out what will most assuredly be obscene amounts of Halloween candy tomorrow night. Can't wait to see who rings the doorbell! But if I see Jon & Kate Plus 8, I may ask the kids to do a trick first. ;-)

As an aside, my nephew is going as an Ooompa Loompa and my niece is going as Jennifer Beals in Flashdance. Happy Halloween! Boo!

5 comments:

Laura said...

Saw that too! Wasn't that on the Bonnie What's-Her-Last-Name Show? I especially liked (insert sarcasm here) when the little girl dressed as one of the Atlanta housewives came out with a wine glass in her hand!

Bring back the ghosts and goblins, I say! ;-)

Liz Fichera said...

Laura, yep, that was it. I guess that clarifies as cute these days. Nothing says Halloween like a little kid swigging from a wine glass!

Glad to hear I'm not alone. Bah humbug.

Pete said...

I always went as a hobo. Guess that's boring, too?

Jen said...

Oompa Loompa? That is so cute!!!

Liz Fichera said...

Pete, it's not boring in my books. I remember donning the rumpled overcoat and dusting my cheeks with charcoal.

Jen, yes, I'm hoping my sister sends pictures! As a huge fan of CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY, I'll definitely want to see a picture of this. :-)