Monday, October 5, 2009

A Good Time Was Had By All

Just had one of those magical weekends where I wrote a few really solid chapters for my latest WIP, finished reading an excellent book, watched a couple of unexpectedly good movies, and did it all from the quiet of a cabin in northeastern Arizona. I even saw rain! Yes, it does rain every once in a while, even in the Arizona desert. This past weekend was one of those times you say, "Life doesn't get much better than this!"

My current WIP is moving nicely again. It took me a few weeks to get a true feel for my main character, but I'm definitely feeling him now. I can see him, hear him, and tell what he thinks about things. Like science class. Or constellations. And big feet. He's a cute kid--but not too cute. He has his flaws.

Regarding the book that I finished yesterday, it was called POPE JOAN by Donna Cross. My sister had recommended it almost a year ago and for some reason I always kept putting it off and read something else. I'm glad I finally read it. The writing was beautiful and I felt like I was back in Rome during the 800's. It's about a girl who disguises herself as a man and climbs the ranks within the Catholic Church. It was quite interesting and the tension was good throughout. The ending left me a little unsatisfied but other than that I loved it. Suffice it to say that I'm glad I wasn't born a woman during the 800's. I think women back then were treated on par with the livestock.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I have a whole week to work on my WIP as I finished up one freelance project last week and the next one doesn't start till next week. Oh, happy day! Hoping my muse won't let me down this week!

6 comments:

Jen said...

When you find your muse, will you tell him/her to contact my muse?? ;-) I could use a little muse help this week!!

Nancy said...

Missed ya, Liz! Glad to hear your next book is coming along. Wanna read my first chapter? I think you'll like this one...

P.S. One of these days I should start a blog, too. :-)

Laura from Tenn. said...

Pope Joan was interesting. Took me a while to read it, though. It wasn't a quick (or lite) read.

Liz Fichera said...

Jen, I'll try to send some your way.

Nancy, feel free to email the first chapter. Would be happy to read it.

Laura, I took my time with it as well. Was definitely not a beach read!

Pete said...

Hope you've had a good week! My current book has some kids in it too. I've switched gears and trying my hand at a MG. Look forward to hearing more about yours.

Liz Fichera said...

Pete, good luck with your book. Good to hear from you!