Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Recommended Reads

I did read a couple of books recently that I'd like to recommend.

First, if you haven't read A BUMP IN THE ROAD by Maureen Lipinski, you must. It's a laugh-out-loud story of career-girl Clare Finnegan who finds herself pregnant. I read it while I was on vacation last month; it's a perfect vacation read. Written in the style very much like BITTER IS THE NEW BLACK but without the footnotes.

My mom passed along a book to me that I could not put down: WISH YOU WELL by David Baldacci of ABSOLUTE POWER fame. It's set in the 1940's and it's the story of two practically orphaned children from NYC who must live with their great-great grandmother in the mountains of Virginia. The story and the writing are both very rich and descriptive. It reminds me a lot of the kinds of stories I loved as a kid, although I would hardly call it a YA novel. Couldn't. Put. It. Down.

Meanwhile, in between books (I'm usually reading at least two) I've written the first five chapters of my latest WIP and have sent the first four chapters to a few of my readers to see if it passes the "should I keep going?" test. It's the story of a 12-year old boy with some pretty big dreams. I've never written a story entirely in the voice of a boy before and, I must say, it's an absolute blast.

On top of everything else, more freelance writing projects have flooded in. When it rains, it pours.

4 comments:

Lori said...

Thx for the suggestions. I did love Absolute Power once upon a time.

Sarah said...

A 12-year old boy? Cool!

Pete said...

Love Baldacci. I think he's got another novel out now. Forget the name of it, though.

Jen said...

I think his next one coming out is called True Blue or something.