Tuesday, August 25, 2009

That Work Thing

I've had an unexpected amount of freelance work fall into my lap these last couple of months. And sometimes you hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, you know?

Even though they are writing projects, I hate turning down freelance assignments because you never know when you're gonna hit your next drought. Still, that means I have less time to work on my books. Such is life. And dang my American Express bill. For some reason it keeps finding my mailbox every month.

And I have an amazing idea for a midde grade book. Can't wait to put the thoughts and ideas floating around in my head into my laptop. I can see my main characters and they're already starting to talk back to me.

I'm going to find time tomorrow to blast out a chapter if it kills me.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh, gawd, I know the feeling. I don't do freelance work. (I work in an office). But finding the time to write is almost impossible sometimes. Can you say midnight? After the kids are finally asleep??

Jen said...

The hours of 12 am to 6 am always work for me.

Rachel said...

Know how you feel, although I'm in one of those droughts. I work better when I'm swamped. No time to procrastinate that way.

Liz Fichera said...

Jen and Sarah, yes, the middle of the night seems to work for me, too. I kind of like when the house is hauntingly quiet.

Rachel, me, too. I work better when I have too much to do rather than too little. Weird, huh?

Anonymous said...

I'm just starting out. I'm trying to write a young adult novel. I have the time to write but it does not come easily. It's all in my head but sometimes I have trouble putting it on paper.

Liz Fichera said...

Anon, have you tried outlining first? That might help you focus on small bits (at first) rather than stressing about the big picture. Sounds like you've got the beginnings of a great story in your head. Good luck with it!

Peter said...

I'm almost done with a mystery novel I've been working on. It's taken me two years of writing at night, after little league practice, work, etc. etc....

Liz Fichera said...

Peter, good for you. Let us know when we can buy it! :-)