Friday, July 10, 2009

Eureka!

Usually I get some of my best story ideas when I'm running. Yesterday, oddly, I got one driving. I don't recommend it.

It was all I could do to stop from swerving into the emergency lane as I was flying down the freeway on my way to have lunch with a friend at a sushi place in Scottsdale and, bam-o, the idea popped in my head. I couldn't wait to stop and jot a few ideas on the scraps of paper I always keep in my purse.

I was thinking about chess at the time, too. Very weird. I was thinking about how I'd like to play a few games of chess with my niece when my husband and I visited my sister and her family next month. (We're renting a beach house on the Gulf. Very cool, by the way and can't wait). But, anyway, all of a sudden I could see a couple of characters, a plot line, some conflict, and I've got the beginnings of a story.

I'm going to play with the characters a little bit inside my head, maybe jot down a few more characteristics, a few more plot lines and see if I'm ready for a long-term commitment with my new idea.

After writing a couple of YA novels, I don't think I'm ready to leave the genre just yet because I do believe the next novel I write will also be a YA, especially given my recent E-ticket ride experience on the 101 Freeway.

3 comments:

Richard said...

Same here, I always get my best ideas when I'm not writing. Usually when I'm walking, hiking, even one time I was mountain climbing!

Liz Fichera said...

Richard, I agree. The best ideas seem to come when you're not writing. Go figure.

Sarah said...

This is the hardest part for me, getting ideas. Don't know why. But when I get one, I hang onto it.