Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Ed McMahon, RIP

It was so sad today to learn that Ed McMahon passed away at the age of 86.

As a kid, I remember watching THE TONIGHT SHOW with Johnny Carson and Ed McMahon. It was always such a treat when my parents let my sisters and I stay up late to watch the show. Even as kids, we laughed at their jokes and easy banter. I can still hear Mr. McMahon's laugh and see that funny genie-type hat Mr. Carson wore when he pretended to read those index cards. They streamed into our homes via the televison set like they were our neighbors.

And Mr. McMahon sounded like such a nice man--WWII veteran, family man, comedian, sidekick. He overcame humble beginnings and truly embodied the American Dream, and I think that's why my parents liked him so much. They could relate, my dad especially.

It makes me sad to see so many of my parents contemporaries passing away. My dad is the same age as Mr. McMahon.

Ed McMahon, another legend, gone. My thoughts and prayers today are with his family.

No comments: