Friday, March 20, 2009

Staying Focused

I've been having a difficult time this week staying focused on my latest WIP. There have been too many distractions--some self-imposed; others, not of my doing. Well, not really. That's what I tell myself, anyway.

First, there's always the temptation to spend too much time reading up on my favorite author blogs and then someone had to go and invent Twitter, as if email, texting, and instant messaging weren't already enough of a distraction. Sheesh.

And then there's always stuff that needs to be done around the house and wouldn't it be wonderful to have a personal chef, butler (is that what they're still called?), maid, closet organizer, baker, sommelier and, of course, my own personal masseuse. Ah, life would be grand.

Throw in bill paying, taxes, and the books on my nightstand (just finished Sarah Dessen's DREAMLAND and getting ready to start Anita Shreve's RESISTANCE), and it's a wonder I write two complete sentences by the end of the day.

But somehow I do. I'm just wired that way. Some days are easier than others but I love it when I reach that point in my WIP when I can't pull myself away from the keyboard. It's like the characters become real and I can't wait to keep typing to see how my own story will end. I'm getting there with VANISHED, although I'm not quite at that highest peak yet. I finished most of my research and now the story in my head is starting to take root on the pages. I'm just starting Chapter 6 today. Wish me luck.

6 comments:

Bookworm said...

Stay focused, Liz! I wanna hear more about VANISHED!!

Ronnie said...

Yes, I agree that the butler and maid would be nice. It's always those pesky mundane things that get in the way of writing.

Laura said...

And what is the hysterical frenzy over Twitter? I don't get Twitter. It's one less distraction I can definitely do without.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Laura. Twitter is a waste of time.

Sarah said...

Is pizza considered a distraction? ;-)

Peter said...

Like you, when I get into the characters, there's really nothing that can distract me except, maybe, a hurricane or something.