Thursday, February 26, 2009

Writer's Block

I don't often suffer from writer's block. When I do, it usually means I'm just not into the current book I'm writing. I've realized that it usually means that I'm bored with my characters, the plot, even the setting and when that happens, I step away and start something completely different. Or do something completely different that doesn't center around writing. For me, it usually means going for a run, catching up with friends, reading a book, or watching a movie. I don't have to do anything extravagant to get back on track like fly to London or something flashy like that.

I have about a half dozen books I've started and never finished. Some I've even finished. Even though I wasn't crazy about where these books were going, I couldn't bear to hit that DELETE key. Maybe it's because I always think that I'll warm up to it in the future; maybe it just needs a new character or a different plot line or some tweak that will come to me at some point in the middle of a sleepless night. Miracles can happen.

Fortunately that's not the case with my latest YA book which I'm calling VANISHED. I've gotten so into the research for the book that I can't wait to get my fingers to the keyboard and start hammering out a first draft.

What do you do when you hit that writer's block wall?

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Chocolate always helps too.

Ron said...

Oy, I get writer's block more than I care to admit. Usually means a change of scenery for me.

Lynn said...

I get my biggest writer's blocks at the beginning of a book but once I'm into it, I turn into a writing zombie.

Deborah said...

When this happens for me, it's time to step away from the computer for at least half a day. Cheers!

Meg said...

I don't have time to deal with writer's block. Not sure if that's a good thing or not...

Bookworm said...

When will you finish VANISHED?