Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Recommended Reads

I'm getting to the end of my TBR pile and there isn't a dud in the bunch. I flipped over FLIPPED, loved Violet in VIOLET ON THE RUNWAY, and laughed with Emma in WHAT WOULD EMMA DO? Good books, all. My niece will be getting all of these.

I'm still reading DREAMLAND. I saved that for last and, so far, Sarah Dessen does not disappoint. I love her books. They might be a little too old yet for my tween niece, but we'll see.

In the meantime, the seed of another story is starting to sprout in my brain, big time. I can't shake it. I keep thinking about a short story that I published a couple of years ago called THOSE WHO HAVE GONE. It was about a medicine man and his daughter. I think I'm going to use that as a basis for my next YA but I need to do a little more research into the Hohokam Indians. They were a tribe that simply vanished around the 1400's in the area just south of where I live and no one knows why. There are lots of scientific theories, of course, but the writer in me tells me it was something more. Cool, huh?

5 comments:

Jen said...

Your new WIP sounds intriguing.

Toni said...

Keep us posted. I can't wait to buy one of your books.

Bobbi said...

My kid loves anything by Dessen but she's not a tween. She's a senior in H.S. I agree with Toni. Can't wait to buy one of yours! :-) I love the Southwest.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't that crazy about What Would Emma Do. I found Emma annoying. The writing was okay but the story left me feeling flat.

Lynne said...

I remember THOSE WHO HAVE GONE. Cool short story. Definitely needs to be a novel. Can't wait to read.