Tuesday, February 3, 2009

On My Nightstand

I've got a few books on my nightstand that I'd like to read, especially now that I'm between books. I just finished my latest yesterday, after a bunch of rewrites. I'm sure there will be more editing but I am very pleased with it. I have another seed of a story in my brain for my next YA, but before it sprouts into something larger and completely takes me over like something out of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, it's time to give the writing side of my brain a vacation and read, read, read.

Here's what's on my nightstand, a mixture of YA and adult fiction:

1) THE LAST SUMMER OF YOU AND ME by Ann Brashares. I'm actually rereading this book because I so enjoyed it the first time. Oddly, the reviews on Amazon.com were not that great and I'm glad that I ignored them. I enjoyed it immensely (and I'm enjoying it the second time around). The writing is beautiful and I got totally sucked into the story and the characters' lives.

2) WHAT WOULD EMMA DO? by Eileen Cook. I'm already halfway through. The pages move fast. It's a fun book. I'll probably share this one with my niece.

3) VIOLET ON THE RUNWAY by Melissa Walker. I'm usually not into the whole fashion scene but this looked like fun. Besides, I got it on sale at my local Borders.

4) FLIPPED by Wendelin Van Draanen. Never heard of the author or the book. All the more reason to read it! Can't wait. It's written in first person, but in alternating viewpoints. Intriguing.

5) DREAMLAND by Sarah Dessen. I really got into Sarah's books this past summer. I read JUST LISTEN and THE TRUTH ABOUT FOREVER and loved them both.

Now, excuse me while I cuddle underneath a blanket (okay, maybe not. It is Phoenix) and sip my hot tea, honey, and lemon. I'm going to enjoy my books for a while. I'll let you know which ones will go in a box to my niece when I'm through. When my sister and niece visited last month, I gave Olivia my copy of FAIREST. Hopefully she'll love it as much as I did.

Ciao!

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

I read THE SUMMER OF YOU AND ME. I thought it dragged in some part but overall it was good. Haven't read some of the others you mentioned. Let us know if you like them.

Paige said...

I'm a Sarah Dessen fan too.

Terry said...

Enjoy your books and your down time. Knowing you, though, you'll be writing your next novel in no time.

Ronny said...

Tell us what you think of the EMMA book. I had mixed feelings about it.

Janie Emaus said...

Hi,
I heard that Flipped was a great book. I hope you enjoy it.