Thursday, February 19, 2009

e-Readers

I know that I'll warm up to electronic books. Eventually. I'll warm-up to them just like I warmed up to CDs after albums, DVDs after videos, email after handwritten letters, the new Darren after the old one on Bewitched. And, who knows, maybe in a few years actual hardcover books will become a thing of the past and the only places you'll be able to buy them are at garage sales.

For now, I still prefer the feel of an actual book in my hand. Curling up in my favorite chair with an e-reader in my hands doesn't have the same feel (and smell) of a new book. You know?

Still, it would be cool to carry around a boat-load of books with me on a single e-reader and think of the savings in paper, bindings, etc. Yeah, go green. I'm not there yet, though. I still prefer an actual, real-live book in my hands. I like to read the jacket. I like to touch the book cover. Okay, I'm weird. And I guess I'm still old-fashioned but I'm sure I'll come around. One of these days.

How 'bout you?

6 comments:

Lynn said...

e-readers are still too expensive. And I prefer books.

John said...

Ditto what Lynn said. Still too expensive and the screens are hard to read.

Suzanne said...

I've tried the e-readers. They're getting better. The battery power has gotten better.

Bookworm said...

Only able to buy books at garage sales? *shudder* Where else will I be able to go and get myself a cup of coffee, a danish, and read but in a book store? I'm so not there yet with e-readers. I'm still in eight-track land.

Rick said...

I'll never use an e-reader. Although I said the same thing about email too.

Sara said...

Buying an e-book isn't necessarily that much cheaper than the real thing.