Thursday, January 29, 2009

Reaching THE END

I'm so close to finishing up my current YA novel. So dang close. All I'll tell you at this point is that the main character is Native American. I'm surrounded by beautiful Indian Reservations in Phoenix and this is one of the many stories that has floated around inside my head for a while and I finally started putting it on paper last Fall. And I've almost reached THE END.

You writers out there no what I'm talking about. You understand THE END. It's that part in the writing process where you think you've reached THE END but sometimes it feels like you're starting over. That's because after you've typed THE END, you begin the editing process. Mine goes something like this: I type THE END. But then I let my writing group read it. Sometimes I let them read pieces of it as I'm writing. Then I go back and edit. And edit and edit. And edit some more till I'm blurry-eyed. Sometimes I end up rewriting the whole dang thing; sometimes all the pieces tick and tie like perfect puzzle pieces.

My current YA WIP feels like the latter so far. Everything just fell into place and I wrote it pretty fast. I could see my main character. I could hear her voice and see her face as if she was a real-live person with real-live issues and problems. I know what makes her laugh and cry. She's beautiful, but not in all of the predicatable ways.

So, we'll see what my writer friends think of it. They're a tough crowd to please. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime, tell me about your writing process. What happens when you reach THE END?

6 comments:

Suzanne said...

oh, gawd...writing a book feels like giving birth sometimes. At least childbirth ends at some point.

Jack said...

I don't think it really ends until a book is actually published. I'm hoping to experience that one day, of course. ;-

Lynn said...

Can't wait to hear more about GRIPPED! Good luck with it.

Maria said...

I think I spend more time editing than I do writing the book!

Ellyn said...

I love it when everything falls into place. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen with me. With each book I write, I tell myself I should outline more but I never do. Maybe the next book...

Sarah said...

My writing process is a lot like yours. I write mysteries, mostly, though. Cheers, Liz