Sunday, January 18, 2009

Point of View

Some writers favor writing in one POV over the other. I don't have a hard and fast preference. I've written in both, although I prefer first person for young adult novels. I think that it makes the voice a little more raw, a little more real. KEEPER GIRL was written in first person and fit that story perfectly, IMO. Plus, it was such a blast to write it.

That's why I have absolutely no idea why my fingers (and my brain) switched into third person for the current YA novel I'm finishing up, but it did. It's like my fingers had a mind of their own over my keyboard as the characters started to develop but it was pretty clear that several strong characters were emerging. I needed more flexibility to change POV in order to tell their intersecting stories so that's why I opted for third person in my current WIP. I should be finishing the first draft this month with major surgery to begin next month on the first draft. Stay tuned. I'll let you know how my third person POV decision worked out...

Anyway, what about you? Do you prefer one POV to another? Do you think it makes a difference depending on the genre? Inquiring minds just gotta know. :-)

7 comments:

Lori said...

Worst advice I ever got from an agent (we parted ways long ago) was to avoid first-person POV. I love writing in first person and I write mysteries, mostly.

Suzanne said...

oohhh - so glad you're writing about this! Everyone always has such strong opinions on POV (and verb tense - past/present). I hate hard-clad rules. I say go with what feels right. I write in both. It just depends on the story.

Steve said...

I prefer third person but that's just me. Everyone is different.

Marie said...

I've tried writing in POV but I prefer the flexibility of third person.

Bookworm said...

Can't wait to read GRIPPED when you're done with it!

Greg said...

I prefer third person in Thrillers.

Ruth said...

I don't think there should be any hard and fast rules on POV. I say, write what feels right.