Sunday, January 11, 2009

Inspiration

Every morning (whether I want to or not), I turn off my computer, say goodbye to email and IMs and the characters of the current book I'm writing, and trudge to my gym. Some days my feet work better than others; other days they require a little extra motivation, but I'm always glad when I get there. I pop on my MP3, crank up my music, and start running on my favorite treadmill--the one that gives me the best view of the gym--if you know what I mean. :-) On a good day, I can usually last an hour. And, I kid you not, with my music cranked and my legs racing, I get some of my best book ideas, dialogue, plot lines, you name it. I carry paper and pen with me at all times, but especially to the gym for this very reason. I usually return home, eager to get my fingers back to my keyboard (after a hot shower and some water, of course).

Where do you find your inspiration for your books? How do you recharge your writing batteries?

8 comments:

Jenny said...

A long walk at the park. Walking always helps me. I came up with the title of my current book on a walk.

Francie said...

I take my writing breaks by reading other books.

Anonymous said...

Getting out of the house works for me. I come back refreshed, ready for more.

Suzanne said...

My ideas come to me at the oddest times but usually when my mind is clear. I'm not that much into working out, but I do enjoy hiking. Sometimes just listening to a song will pop an idea into my head.

Pauline said...

Yoga does it for me. Talk about a way to clear your head and get it ready for some more.

Paul said...

I get inspiration from listening to music, all kinds. I got the idea for my last book from a song. Music is my release.

Anna said...

Playing guitar is my release. Only way I can clear my head

Lori said...

The Beach. Sand and waves are where I go for my inspiration. Of course, that seems impossible right now since the snow just keeps falling outside my window. :-) Guess I have to take a vacation in my head.